Help Decipher Artist Name on Sidewalk Cafe Painting, Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 26, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Last request of the day! Can anyone make out or (hopefully!) make out the artist's name? I think I see Dupont?
    Thank you.

AA ART PAINTING A GROUP 1_ cafe by dupont 1aa.JPG AA ART PAINTING A GROUP 1_ cafe by dupont 1Baaa.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I like that painting!!! But IMHO, don't think it says 'dupont'..... maybe M Chuport or something like that, but again, a guess too!! Fear not, others will weigh in, in due time!!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm see something that starts Ch or Cl too.

Surely this is a print of a painting, not an actual painting?

upload_2019-3-26_23-40-59.png

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Probably wont find the name because it's a sofa painting/home decor.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Can anyone decipher the name of the café? It just doesn't seem to be spelled correctly, whatever it is...

I know there's the famous Café de Flore in Paris, as well as the Café Le Flore En I'Ile. I was thinking the name on the building was closer to the latter of the two, but even so, it seems to have too many letters(?)

img0 (76).jpg

Perhaps it was never meant to represent a real place?

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bronwen

The words available are definitely more like French than like any of the other Romance languages.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, Bronwen, but it looks like an actual painting to me. The part you enlarged (thank you for that!) appears to be a plastic architectural florescent light cover panel sprayed through with paint to form the hexagonal shapes.

Sadly, the SIZE of paintings is rarely told without me asking, "How big is it?" so I don't know if my thought about the treatment of the paint with a panel could possibly be accurate or not without more input from the OP.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. antidiem

You're right, artist made a mistake imho

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

I'm seeing that stippled effect everywhere I look at an enlargement. Could you explain a bit more about this painting technique? Is the whole thing painted on a lighting panel? How did painter get cells outlined in black with a colored center?

antidiem likes this.
  10. Bronwen

11. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot the measurements again(Sorry)! - painting is 36" x 24" with the frame another 2" all around.
    Also, it is a painting.
    Thanks all!

judy likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've seen works of this subject around forever. Always assumed they were Chinese factory paintings. Going to go look for other examples...

Debora

13. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It's a factory painting and you have to forgive the painter if he or she was not comfortable writing in French. The value of this piece, such as it is, is in the frame so it matters little whether it is painted or printed.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Exactly. Home Goods used to sell these types of paintings. Can't find that exact image but there are hundreds of similar around. Here's one. They're always a bit off, including language, because "artist" is painting something s/he's never seen in language s/he doesn't speak.

Debora

il_fullxfull.1310975321_dzwn.jpg

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. antidiem

I couldn't see an enlargement, so you could be correct that it is a print if they are everywhere, but possibly not. If it was the first thing done to the canvas, it could definitely be all over in texture (but of course not in color). I did this technique when I was a student. [EDIT3: THIS IS NOT WHAT WAS DONE HERE]

Lots of students and artists prepare their canvases with painted patterns and embellishes before they even start the painting.

Looks like painted the background color (black) and just hold the plastic piece above the canvas board, and spray on the light blue paint.

Ok, HOW BIG IS IT? @journeymagazine = this may tell us if we are looking at something in or about the canvas fabric, something in a printing process, or if it could possibly be a painting.

Whatever it is, it's a decorator painting.

EDIT: When looking at the texture in your small enlargement, @Bronwen , that part looks like canvas, so if the thing is small, it could just be the artist used the texture of the canvas. Journey should know if it's a painting or a print? Journey? ?? :clown:

SECOND EDIT: OK, I think the dots are the canvas itself and the size is maybe only about 20-24" across. So NOT A SPRAY PROCESS AT ALL.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  16. antidiem

I keep flashing on the word, "FAILURE" for that sign and it doesn't say that at all! LOL! My brain isn't wired properly! :cat:

I cannot even put the letters together to type it as a "word" lol! :muted:

Draft saved Draft deleted