Help ID Antique Italian Painting Signed LEGA

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, May 31, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just reposting my threads from the Bay Art board in case things here move faster.

There are few listed Italian artists by the name of Lega. Not sure what is the first initial on the featured one. Also, don't know if that is a signature on the verso or a title. The scene is realistic but executed in a bit of impressionistic manner. It is a large piece. I usually don't believe a lot the brief typed info tags on the back of the paintings.
    Will have better pictures tomorrow.

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kardinalisimo

Got few better pictures.There is a sticker by Marad Wall-decor. I cannot find any information on the company. There are some examples online of prints paintings and other wall art by them but cannot figure out what they were. Retailer,importer, framing company, sold original work or/and reproductions etc.? Did they make mass produced or department store paintings?
    I see on some of the examples " Exclusively Styled & Framed For "name of company or organization".

The signature on the featured painting is similar to Silvestro Lega's but I doubt that it was done by him. I don't see enough age for late 1800's piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not at all encouraging that it calls itself wall-decor.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a decorative painting sold by distributors to department stores and such. The Marad label and the artist information really confirm this. Any time an artist is referred to by one name and is not famous, it is not a very encouraging sign. It may even be a made up name. A lot of this kind of thing came out of Italy in the 50s and 60s.

5. kardinalisimo

If not wrong, back in the days, some department stores carried fine art by listed or not that famous artists. But I don't think that is the case here. Probably the name is made up, possibly to look like Silvestro Lega.
    I am not sure if that Marad company was supplying department stores. Maybe different organizations or institutions. So far I found this:
    Exclusively Styled & Framed For:
    Coffey Interiors, Chas. Rosenbaum, Pilgrim House, Fair Store, Hansom House, R.J. Galleries, Rembrandt Studio Birkenhead, Concord Mannor, Margenson’s Inc, May’s Interiors, Carriage House, B.C. Porter & Sons, Town & Country Furn. Co.
    Maybe that signature or whatever it is on the verso of the canvas is who the piece was made for or belonged to.

One edge on the canvas is hand signed with "Marad". That would mean that the piece was commissioned or ordered by them or simply a sign of ownership.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted