HELP ID ARTIST OF PAINTING I'M BIDDING ON

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 4, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi
    I am bidding on this painting coming up in a auction in a few days - can anyone make out the artist's name?
    This is not a factory painting, right?
    Thanks

ART PAINTING HORSES AUCTION 1.jpg ART PAINTING HORSES AUCTION 1A.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Take this with a grain of salt but I suspect your painting could be factory output. As I've mentioned before, I own a handful of paintings that I purchased at one of those hotel "starving artist" type sales that had cheap and cheerful paintings but also some that were of better quality at a higher price. Most of those seem to be versions if not outright copies of better known paintings. Very decorative and with signatures that are surely false.

Hope someone else will know yours and prove me wrong. Heywood Hardy painted some similar type scenes as did many others I'm sure.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I too think it was commercially produced. The frame isn't right. (I know... I know...) But more importantly, the signature isn't in a period hand.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I echo what SIS says. Additionally, that is a common frame often used with factory art.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Decorational value

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There was a picture framing place that went out of business near me. There were hundreds of oil paintings just placed flat on tables. There were several which were much higher better than excellent. I ended up buying several "ancestral" paintings which in time will loose the brillentance and be acceptable as "real". All they need is some really antique frames to be wonderful. If I live a bit longer they will sell for a lot more than what I paid for them.
    greg

Jivvy likes this.
  7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'd bet if you looked at the canvas from the back it would be pure white with staples.

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

How "old" does the auction company say it is?
    The frame looks very new.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm never comphy with a siggy that has no date...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm betting it's covered over with brown paper.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Doesn't say how old - it's from a home that people are moving & put everything up for auction. I've been outbid on this so I'll pass on it, but am still in on 2 others. These came from a expensive area of Miami (Coral Gables) which is why I am hoping one at least is from a listed artist.
    I can't find the Columbian artist when I googled it but I like the painting so if I win I may keep it.
    But I'm more wondering about the nude - can anyone make out the signature? Any thoughts on it? (before you answer (especially after looking at the face which is well done - the eyes are piercing, right?) look at the arm - there is something...off, about it; it's almost looks like a bruise?). It's large (60") - maybe it was a actual portrait & the subject actually had a bruise on her arm? Or a scar or birthmark?

ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 COLUMBIAN 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 COLUMBIAN 1AAA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 COLUMBIAN 1AA_A.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 COLUMBIAN 1BAA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 NUDE 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 NUDE 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 NUDE 2AAA.jpg ART PAINTING A GROUP AUCTION 1 NUDE 2BAA.jpg

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice nude....seems hands are hard to paint !!!:(:happy::happy:

13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

The hand near her face is VERY poorly done .. it's way too big and very awkward. Anyway .. just another nude female painting ... Anyone got any male ones ??? LOL.

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

No winners on the "back" guesses. Board, maybe? I can't tell.

temp06.jpg

Still not one I would buy, but as a non-seller, I can't really comment on resale value.

temp07.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Close-up that hunting scene is very unconvincing.

Debora

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Naw, don't think it's the right Germán Castro. And why do you think the landscape is a Colombian scene?

Debora

18. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

That nude lady has to almost be a contortionist to twist her right arm & hand to end up in that position. . .try to mimic it. :eek:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

Any thoughts on the Jose Louis V?

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah! There's a (teeny) Colombian flag. See it now.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted