Help ID / info w Cut Flint Glass Vase ~1845 ??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aarone, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Aarone

Aarone New Member

vase 0.jpg vase 1.jpg vase 2.jpg vase 3.jpg [ We are slowly liquidating the estate of a very traditional and expert US glass collector. So - full disclosure - any help will just go towards me listing it properly on e.g. ebay and getting a fair price. I do love some of these items and they've been around my whole life but I can no longer keep them. ]

On this vase: I think it's cut flint glass, and from the ribbed pattern maybe ~1845 and probably US. I see no maker's mark and no mold lines. All the pattern edges are sharp, like known cut glass and quite different from known pressed glass. However, it seems odd to find large inset panels (rectangular, in lower half) on cut glass. It rings more than pressed glass but not as much as modern crystal. The glass is gray and thick; at 7" tall it weighs 26 oz. Under UV light there is no particular shade (eg. no green or yellow glow). As can be seen, one of the top rim petals is chipped and half gone; this has not been smoothed.

Also, I don't see anything like it in the big EAPG books (Reilly; Jenkins; Metz) which is another reason why I'm guessing it pre-dates that.

Any corrections / refinements are welcome and a perhaps minimum value estimate especially so.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Aaron.

Aarone likes this.
  3. Aarone

Aarone New Member

Update: Elsewhere it's been suggested that this is not US but instead British "Georgian period" glass; and looking at examples of those patterns that seems pretty likely. And consistent with the material. So... progress!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Georgian glass is typically greyish.

5. Aarone

Aarone New Member

I had thought gray based on looking through the glass eg. up through the bottom, but now realize it has a yellow tinge throughout, which is more apparent when looking edge-on.

So yes, that increases the puzzle factor. Thanks for raising the issue. I'm looking for references on Georgian period glass because the design elements fit that. However, I've found nothing that's similar overall.

6. Really Old Guy

Really Old Guy New Member

"I don't see anything like it in the big EAPG books (Reilly; Jenkins; Metz) "

No wonder, you call it flint, it's blown and cut. not pressed (EAPG)

7. Aarone

Aarone New Member

Yeah, I know more now. Such as that while "PG" stands for Pattern Glass (not Pressed Glass, as you seem to think), all Pattern Glass is pressed. I'll try to not leave myself open to such criticism in the future; thanks.

And fyi a lot of EAPG is flint.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024 at 3:58 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted