Help id oriental face teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Jul 12, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me identify this face teapot? It is stamped on the bottom but i had to put a piece of tape over the marking so it would show up better. Also can anyone identify the mark? Unfortunately it looks to have seen some mothballs so i will have to clean it up. Any info would be great thanks!

teapot1.jpg teapot2.jpg teapot3.jpg teapot4.jpg teapot5.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The person that has this is saying its by yixing zisha. When i look at zishas work its different than mine and the one in the link. Ours isnt clay i believe its ceramic because of the white inside. Zishas work is all one color. What exactly is this and by who? Was wondering if anyone could read the mark that way i could narrow it down by the maker.

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

All ceramic items are made with one sort of clay or another. "Zisha" is the name of the kind of clay used in making traditional Yixing pottery, not a potter or company. Zisha means "Purple clay."

You are correct that true Yixing pottery is not glazed either inside or outside, but that does not mean that it is not "ceramic."

Here's a link to the Gotheborg site page about Yixing, which also shows a number of known Yixing marks. You may be able to find a match, but I wouldn't place odds on it.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/yixing.shtml

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks bakers I'll take a look. I went on Google as well and looked up "yixing makers mark" and there were a lot. It would take me awhile to look through it all. So your saying it might be a copy?

judy likes this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to re sell but before I do I just want to make sure I'm describing it correctly and know what it is first.

judy likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

No - I am not saying it "might be a copy" at all. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. The dark color and unglazed exterior do look right for Yixing. But I've never seen one with the glazed interior yours has. And I have been led to believe that the tea brewing process in an unglazed pot imparts a special taste. It may simply be a variation I did not know about.

The person who "has this" and says it is "Yixing by zisha" is at least mis-informed about the terms.

When I said I wouldn't lay odds on finding a match, I merely meant that the list on Gotheborg is not intended to be definitive or comprehensive and seems relatively short for the length of time this style of pot has been in production.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Oh ok I hear you now bakers. Sorry I get a little confused been a long day for me. I'll definitely look into it more though and appreciate the feedback as always!

judy likes this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

One last thing is it ok to use regular soap and water to clean inside?

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

I guess - it's glazed so it should be okay. What's that green stuff?

judy likes this.
  11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Whoever had it before must have used some mothballs or some type of scent balls because when I first opened up the lid i could smell like a peppermint coming from it. I'm gonna try and clean it the best I can.

judy likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Or made peppermint tea in it. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted