HELP ID PAINTER PLEASE. 1918?

Discussion in 'Art' started by smadgos, Aug 24, 2019.

1. smadgos

smadgos Well-Known Member

AAA.jpg 002 (2).jpg 001 (3).jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

May Moreau?

judy, sabre123 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to my eye too. Not a fully formed painter. The bocksbeutel is traditionally German and used from Franconian wines. The other bottle is the traditional shape for Rheingau wines.

Debora

300px-Rheingaufloete.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

ooh yes. and the oysters are from the Ruhr. or you get the Ruhr ? :)
    most probably Portuguese in this combination. there are excellent rosé champagnes from there.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, more likely Portuguese. Oysters and Mateus rosé, a classic Portuguese combination.
    The bottle on the left, but with an older label which has a higher Mateus banner
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy, jsnggltt and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Mateus brand didn't exist until 1942.

Debora

jsnggltt likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Which would correspond with my seeing 1948 instead of 1918, which I should have mentioned.
    I could be wrong, of course.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Geographic area this was found? May mean nothing, never hurts to include the info.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Jivvy

And the internet tells me the bocksbeutel has been around since the 18th century, so I'm good with it being 191? (not 100% on the last digit).

After a certain point in the evening, all wine labels look similar. :joyful:

jsnggltt and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

here. Franken-Oyster.
    [​IMG]

Jivvy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

If the general consensus is that the artist’s first name is May then I suggest the first initial of the sur name is N not M (the two initials side by side do not match in my eyes)

I read the last name as Noury.

12. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

The bentwood chair would seem to point more to the 40’s as well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not too sure. looks like a Vienna coffee house chair - either Thonet or Kohn. so earlier is possible. 1900 to 1930s ? the bottle may as well be Austrian; we had an import license to Switzerland for an Austrian white wine that had similar bottles. can't remember the name. Nussbauer ?

jsnggltt and Bakersgma like this.
  14. smadgos

smadgos Well-Known Member

I think the artist is Max Moreau

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Jivvy

If you're right (and I think it's a good possibility) and if the internet is right that he was born in 1902, then he was 16 when he painted this. Not bad.

temp01.jpg

16. Any Jewelry

Or possibly 46?

17. Jivvy

I don't see a four, no matter how I squint.

Plus, work he was doing in 1948 (or the late 30s at least... don't know if I saw anything from the forties) was much more accomplished than this.

Don't think this was done in 1948 unless it's a different guy... or he started painting with his non-dominant hand.:D

18. I agree.... it is Max Leon Moreau 1902-1992. He has hundreds of auction records, most of which are portraits and street scenes. I believe it to be 1902 as well due to the fact that his earlier work was still lifes as his later work the aforementioned street scenes and portraits. In fact, I could only find three auction records of a still life - two of which were dated 1929.

Jivvy likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm confused - if Max was born in 1902, how could a painting of his be dated that same year? Or is that not what you meant @www.mclarenauction.com ?

Jivvy likes this.
  20. I think the date on the painting in question is 1918 so he would have been 16 at the time of this painting. I mis-typed. Woops!

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted