Featured Help ID pottery mark on pottery bird nest

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Aug 24, 2020.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

hi i was wondering if anyone could help me identify this pottery mark. Not sure if its chinese or not. Thank you for any info!

20200824_130851.jpg 20200824_130914.jpg 20200824_130929.jpg 20200824_130946.jpg 20200824_131001.jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Sweet! It might be a Chinese mark using archaic characters.

3. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Correct orientation is this way up... Seal Script.jpg

As for what it says, I haven't a clue. The only character I can understand is the top right large character which is which is the number 4, though is not reliable as a translation on its own separate from the rest of the seal.

4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I have the exact same planter sitting by my kitchen sink! Still has all the stickers on the bottom that say "Made In China". I'll post some pics for you.

5. sassafras

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

7. sassafras

You're welcome!

8. Couch Potato Wannabe

9. sassafras

Don't know, but we'll find out in a few minutes! Stickers are soaking off now.

10. sassafras

Nothing but a heavy brown glaze on the bottom of mine. It's completely unmarked.

11. Couch Potato Wannabe

Well, one could certainly be a reproduction of the other. Your's appears newer, brighter, glossier, the other appears older. That is insufficient however to discern which, if either, are not a reproduction.

Draft saved Draft deleted