Featured Help Id Silver plaque with coat of arms engraved

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gianluca72, Aug 13, 2018.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Chinese silver got hot for a while, and then Indian/Colonial pieces - at least in the UK and the country of origin. North African may be next!

judy and Gianluca72 like this.
  2. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Excuse me I don't understand what you mean, can you explain it better ?
    Thanks for your time

judy likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

As long as your item is properly described, and listed on a selling site to the proper audience who have interest, it should sell quickly and for a fair price, I would imagine. ;)

Any Jewelry, judy and Gianluca72 like this.
  4. Gianluca72

Ahhhh ok ok
    This sounds good lol

Any Jewelry, judy and i need help like this.
  5. Gianluca72

@i need help @Any Jewelry @Figtree3

Can I please use some phrase of you, that I read here, for a nice description ?
    What I learned here, through you, helps me to describe better the item on sell :)

For respect I ask the permission first

Gianluca

judy and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

I think AnyJewlery, is best to help you with this description. I am not familiar with these objects. I learned about this along with you. :) So wait for AJ. ;)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

"Big chunk of silver" probably isn't much help. :)

judy, Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  8. Gianluca72

No no I have already prepared the description, I Unit best comments of you all for a good description and I add my own too.
    I was asking the permission to use some sentences of you all that you wrote already inside this thread, to optimize the content

judy and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

Fine to use anything I said, as long as it was accurate :confused:, as I just learned about this here, thank you for asking.

Any Jewelry, judy and Gianluca72 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Gianluca72 I just looked through this thread,and none of my posts here had any information about this piece. So, maybe you are thinking of a different item?

I changed this post because I can't give permission when I did not write anything useful!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  11. Gianluca72

Ah ah you're right lol

But your presence was useful at the same :)

12. Gianluca72

hoping not to bore you, I forward the description, trusting in your opinion :)

------

Libya: a very rare, large, disc-shaped headdress of the Bedouin women in Libya,
    made in pure silver, known as ‘Salha’ or ‘Turraha’.

With two hallmarks from the city of Tripoli.

These large ornamental discs made of silver were worn on the head of Bedouin women in Libya for their wedding.

It features a fully hand-chased design of birds laid on branches and long curled leaves

With an old typical Phoenician/Berber fish symbol.
    The fish was important, it’s very prominent.

It signifies fertility and abundance, and is often combined with birds, for the heavens

I can see a configuration of الله, Allah, in the seals.

Period : end of 19th century / start of 20th century circa

Silver .900 or .925 : verified with Silver Acid Tester (please check the last photos)

Typical of old Berber silver

Diameter 16 cm

Weight 140 g

Safe packaging

Registered Shipping

judy and Fid like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course you can.
    I wouldn't say 'very rare'. We have found several, so it isn't very rare. Maybe rare.
    It wasn't worn by Bedouin women, it was worn by Berber women. Bedouins are Arabs, from the Middle East. Berbers are native North Africans.

There is no evidence it was worn by brides. Other Berber silver jewellery was worn either daily or on special occasions. The first owner may have worn it to every feast and festival she visited, we don't know.
    A lot of jewellery was given as part of a dowry, before or during a wedding, but that doesn't mean it was only worn on a wedding day. Jewellery was also bought and given years before and years after a wedding, whenever there was money to be invested in finery, just like anywhere else.
    It is cast silver, from a mold.
    Best not add that, what I read is simply part of the seal of Tripoli, it is of no significance.
    We don't have a definite date for the seal. So far we can only deduce it is probably first half of the 20th century. For all we know the seal could still be used, we simply don't have proof.
    It is also typical of more recent Berber silver. The tested silver content speaks for itself, and in this case fineness is not proof of a specific period.

Good luck!

14. Any Jewelry

The ethnic jewellery market has been an ongoing collector's market for over a century. Due to French colonial presence, and the world's interest in anything the French were interested in, North African is a large chunk of that market. Another advantage is that North Africa is only a stone's throw from Europe, so familiar to many Europeans.
    The ethnic jewellery market is niche, but nice.;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    i need help and judy like this.
  15. Gianluca72

Ahhhh wow I'll edit everything thanks a lot, for my lucky i find you

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Gianluca72

@Any Jewelry

i've updated the description, following your tips

Do you like it ?

Libya: a rare, large, disc-shaped headdress of the Berber women in Libya,

made in pure silver, known as ‘Salha’ or ‘Turraha’.

With two hallmarks from the city of Tripoli.

These large ornamental discs made of silver were worn on the head of Berber women in Libya either daily or on special occasions, probably by brides too.

Cast silver, from a mold; It features birds laid on branches and long curled leaves

With an old typical Phoenician/Berber fish symbol.

The fish was important, it’s very prominent.

It signifies fertility and abundance, and is often combined with birds, for the heavens

We don't have a definite date for the seal.

So far we can only deduce it is probably first half of the 20th century

Silver .900 or .925 : verified with Silver Acid Tester (please check the last photos)

Typical of Berber silver

Diameter 16 cm

Weight 140 g

Safe packaging

Registered Shipping

17. Any Jewelry

Good info, Gianluca.:)
    Isn't this sentence a bit complicated, and is it useful information? Try to read it as an outsider.
    It is a bit like: beautiful silk dress, can be worn by a young woman, mature woman or old aged pensioner, on a monday or a thursday. Wednesday is fine too.:D

Sorry, didn't mean to make fun of you, but do you see what I mean?
    I can see how you came to it in the editing process, but it is just a bit contrived. I would leave it out. You already mentioned "headdress of the Berber women in Libya", that is perfect.

i need help and Gianluca72 like this.
  18. Gianluca72

lol you're absolutely right :-D
    ok i have removed that sentence .
    Thanks so much for everything, i'm going to post it on auction, you got the best answer 100% :)

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Thanks.:)
    Trying to read a listing as an outsider is always the best. It is very difficult, because certain things get stuck in your mind.

I like your avatar picture, have you been digging for gold and gemstones?:D

Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  20. Gianluca72

Yessss I've metal detector too, but I'm a bit unlucky with findings

Update : I post the item on auction and it was soon approved by the estimated Leonor Arnó Pons.
    For me, this is an additional value

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted