Help identify a hallmark 9172 please!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Nov 21, 2020.

?

Please help me identify this brooch period and material, hallmark Rd9172. Thank you

1. Gold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Silver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I recently become intrested in vintage and antique jewellery and just purchased a brooch with the initials Rd and hallmark 9172. The brooch is silver tone on the front and gold to e at the back. Also, I can see at the back that it has an extra layer of material attached to the initial brooch. The middle part move and turns.
    Please can you help me independently what material it is made of, and what period. Also, I would love a opinion on the flowers design, as I love it.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Simona.
    That is Rd 9172, a registration code for the design. So not a hallmark or maker's mark.;)
    The back looks ca 1890, and brass which could have been gilded at one point. The backs of the flowers look gilded.
    Could we see the front please?

[​IMG]

@daveydempsey could you move this to the Jewelry forum please?:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The design was registered in 1884, which fits with the back.

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Simona Buhus

20201206_104230.jpg 20201206_104254.jpg 20201206_104230.jpg

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your response, really happy with your answer. I was wondering if you know anything about the flowers used, or any particular circumstances this brooch was worn. Also, if you would be able to advise on an approximate value.
    Thank you again.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

P.S. I am new here and would appreciate guidance if you need me to do anything with the posting, just seen someone asked to move this to jewellery forum, I have no ideea how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2020
    Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

P.S. I am new here and would appreciate guidance if you need me to do anything with the posting, just seen someone asked to move this to jewellery forum, I have no ideea how to do that.

No worries........only Mods can move a Thread.....& it's been done !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    @Any Jewelry , @Fid
    Would like to ask you for your opinion on the design, the flowers name and the material on the front of the brooch. It looks silver with very little gold colur brush on the edges. We establish that the back of it is brass, I wonder if the front is brass as well. I bought this brooch in the UK, but I have a feeling that this is a French or other Europen design, please let me have your opinion. Also the front rotates freely, you can turn it around with the hand, it's not glued or stitched 20201121_110705.jpg , very imaginative.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-12-16_2-12-22.jpeg

the front is not meant to rotate ...it just does because of the way it's attached.

Draft saved Draft deleted