Help Identify chair please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Duffy31, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Duffy31

Duffy31 New Member

Windsor 3.jpg I just picked this Windsor style up as freebie. It is 42" high, 21" wide in the front and the seat is 18" deep. There are a couple of very faded labels under the seat. I think they say Century Furniture which I looked up and saw that they are/were in Hickory, NC. The red label starts with "GRA". Not sure if that is the beginning of another city or not. Would appreciate any help at all...how old/ value, etc. It has the original finish and nice wear areas on the arms and back. Thanks! Windsor 1.jpg Windsor 2.jpg Windsor 4.jpg Windsor 5.jpg

Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Century was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1900 to 1942, and known for their meticulous reproductions. Yours is a tiered comb-back Windsor form, and mahogany, I think. The paper tag underneath seems to be a 1915 type, according to this site. More info is available from the Grand Rapids Public Library Archives... http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3430/century-furniture-co

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

4. Darkwing Manor

Thanks Ghopper! But the label gets all the credit.

James Conrad, Bronwen and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Duffy31

Duffy31 New Member

Nailed it @Darkwing Manor, many thanks! Now can anyone give me an idea of value?

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$60, maybe..to the right person..

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

I couldn't find any comps for 20th century Windsor arm chairs with this less common configuration. Later 19th century ones vary wildly depending on the maker. Just keep trawling auction house results, and pay attention to the age and configuration. Windsor forms vary a great deal but they are subtle variations.

Ghopper1924 and Duffy31 like this.
  8. Duffy31

Duffy31 New Member

I thought it would be worth more than that...

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It's easy to over-value chairs; in my experience people (including me) do it routinely. If this were from the 18th century then yes, there would be alot more value.

I've got Victorian-era chairs from the top cabinet makers in the U.S. with carvings galore that only bring $300, when one of their tables might bring $10,000. It's just the way the market is.

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed, less than $100 at auction for sure.
    No, single chairs are always a tough sell unless it's a statement type piece. Generally speaking, most want sets of chairs, 2,4,6 etc depending on the use.
    Yep is, very easy, particularly single chairs.

11. Duffy31

Duffy31 New Member

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted