help identify these pieces? Persian?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sparrow King, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Sparrow King

Sparrow King New Member

Hi, I bought these pieces on ebay a while ago with the seller listing them as antique delft but they aren't delft. I am pretty sure they are persian but does anyone else know anything more ? (ignore the kintsugi on the one piece, I dropped it ,but it is the piece that has a mark on the back, the other doesn't.) small.png small3.jpg small2.jpg ?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Welcome Sparrow King! I’ve never seen Delft with an Asian looking makers mark either -LOL- but I’m definitely not knowledgeable enough to help. Hopefully someone with more info will be along soon.

I do know enough to know they will want pictures of the back of the other one and maybe some close ups.

I do know the Dutch were in Indonesia fairly early, though, so maybe from there?

Figtree3, judy and Hi2022 like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

Could it be japanese?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

The OP said to ignore the kintsuge, they dropped it.

7. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

. I thought his plate had the same mark as the plate with kintsugi. And the mark looks more japanese than arabic.
    Wel of course i have no knowlede whatsover make a claim thats why i said 'could it be japanese' ?
    :D:D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Born2it, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The recent kintsugi repair aside, I do think they could be Japanese.
    That gorgeous blue of the 'kintsugi' plate looks Japanese to me, and the mark looks more Japanese than Arabic. Persian blue and white ceramics use a darker, more saturated blue.
    Also the designs on both are more 'constrained' than on Persian or Turkish wares, which could point to Japan.

Tagging @Mat and @Ce BCA .:)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Born2it and Hi2022 like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree it isn't Persian made. From the decoration it may be Chinese made for export to the Middle East, although it could also be Japanese. Both these countries made items for the Middle East market in the 19th century.

Figtree3, Hi2022 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

And this red circkled one looks chinese...I have a plate with same border decoration

Attached Files:

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

IMO it is definitely a Persian plate. The glaze and the foot are very characteristic. Many designs on Persian pottery are imitations of Chinese pieces. When you turn the mark 90 degree to the right, it is certainly written in Arabic letters. Unfortunately I cannot read them. As to ageI would think this dates to the 19th c.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Once again, wonderfully informative. I hope that @Sparrow King returns soon to see the updates.

Draft saved Draft deleted