Featured Help identify this little purse

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HippAntiques, Jun 23, 2019.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

At least I THINK it's a little purse? It belonged to my Husband's Great Grandmother, so we intend to keep it. Not sure what we'll do with it, but I think it's super cute. May be cute framed in a shadowbox??...

Anyway, it's very small and looks like it was crocheted? It measures 8 in including the top part and tassels. The square purse part itself measures 3 in X 3 in. The ring at the top appears to be celluloid The strange part is that when you open the flap, the strings that it hangs from help hold it together, and you pull it apart to get stuff in. And then when you pull the ring up, it cinches it up again. So, maybe to keep things in better?? I've never seen anything like it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! (what it's called, what it's used for, etc.)

getPart.jpg getPart-2.jpg getPart-1.jpg

Aquitaine, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Crochet looks right.

Kind of small, but might qualify as a reticule. An all purpose drawstring carry bag for a lady.

Sandra, judy, anundverkaufen and 2 others like this.
  3. HippAntiques

There were two other crocheted items stored with this, and when I google reticules, I'm finding things JUST like them. So, this was stored with two other "reticules" so that might be right! Just a different type?

4. Bakersgma

Could be. Maybe just for church (where you only need a hankie and your collection envelope?)

Mugzinnys and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are we looking at another ivory ring? @HippAntiques Is the ring solid or hollow? If you have the photographic capability, a closeup showing the surface clearly would help us.

6. HippAntiques

It's so small, that it's hard to focus on. But, I tried my best! It's not super heavy feeling, but yet doesn't feel hollow either......
    getPart-1.jpg getPart-2.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

I see dirt and dust, but no Schreger lines,

8. Bronwen

You did fine.

Same here. Some artificial material. I thought Celluloid a possibility, but probably something else. Exactly what does not really matter. :)

Mugzinnys and HippAntiques like this.
  9. HippAntiques

I just think it's super cute! And being that it's an heirloom makes it better. I'm wondering if I should frame the 3 of them together in a shadowbox? I can post pics of the others if anyone is interested. ;)

10. Bronwen

We're always interested in La Stuff.

11. HippAntiques

Ok, so this is one of them. It's lined with a silky material. It's pretty small too, like the other one.
    getPart-4.jpg

Mugzinnys, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  12. HippAntiques

This is actually a little different. It's like a little basket, and has a roll of thread in it. Same size as the other. (It's actually an off white/ecru color- the lighting is making it look pinkish)

getPart-1.jpg

getPart.jpg

judy, Aquitaine and antidiem like this.
  13. HippAntiques

And, just a bonus.....this was also stored with them. I think it's a hair piece? I'm assuming it had some type of stick that went through the holes to hold it in the hair. Does this seem right?? Unfortunately it's missing one dangle in the middle. But it's pretty! getPart-3.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm wondering the first one isn't more "miser's purse" than reticule -- thinking the ring might be so it can hang on a belt.

judy, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  15. Jivvy

And thank you all for sticking Sondheim in my head (I love him, but this is not my favorite song)

(sorry, tried to post the lyrics, but the two column format got hosed... just trust me that it's a song that says "reticule" a LOT. :hilarious:)

Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  16. HippAntiques

17. Jivvy

bluumz, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  18. Jivvy

I think yours is much more refined that the one I posted, but it gives an idea of at least one time when patterns were being published.

EDIT: But there's no evidence the ring was for hanging on a belt. ;)

judy, Christmasjoy and HippAntiques like this.
  19. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Yes it is for the hair. I have one with black stones. Mine has a wooden black stick but I still have to gather my hair with a band first then run the stick through the bottom of the band.

HippAntiques likes this.
  20. Jivvy

Absolutely! I wear my hair up a lot and that would be so much fun to wear!

Sandra, Christmasjoy and HippAntiques like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted