Featured Help identify wood and brass chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jdab, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Jdab

Jdab New Member

I recently got this from an auction and I was wanting help with any information about it, looked it up and the closest I could find were called zanzabar chests. There are no makers marks on it. The dimensions are 21in long, 12in wide, 11in tall. Screenshot_20211221-195111_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20211222-125332_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20211222-125339_Facebook.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. The wood looks new and stained to look older, not to fake though. The metalwork is a bit sloppy compared to the old ones.

Zanzibar used to be a colony of Oman. Both the Arab peninsula and Zanzibar are known for these chests, but the old ones were often made in India for export to the Middle East, and as a result to Oman's colony Zanzibar.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. Any Jewelry

Just to clarify, I meant the old India, pre-partition.
    I seem to remember Baluchistan was a hub for these chests during Mughal times, and later British rule. Baluchistan is in present-day Pakistan.

7. Any Jewelry

Gorgeous, Aqui, thanks.:kiss:

The ones on stands were probably made for Portuguese and Dutch colonial use, rather than for export to the Middle East and Zanzibar. Not only do they have European looking stands, the metalwork is exactly like on Indo-Dutch and Indo-Portuguese furniture.

8. Jdab

Jdab New Member

Thanks for the help

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted