Featured Help identifying a broken piece of willow pattern china.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Quartermain, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Quartermain

Quartermain New Member

I found this piece of willow pattern china, in the mud on the side of a river, and I'm wanting to know how old it might be, and where it may have come from. Does anyone have any ideas?
    IMG_20240125_082713.jpg IMG_20240125_085306.jpg IMG_20240125_082738.jpg

johnnycb09, laura9797 and komokwa like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Early nineteenth Staffordshire almost certainly.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A later Staffordshire 'Blue Willow' piece with a similar border fyi.

Debora

il_1588xN.3763657784_nzn4.jpg

Bakersgma and Quartermain like this.
  4. Quartermain

Quartermain New Member

Wow, it's older then I thought it was, thanks for identifying it. I never would have worked it out.
    I wonder how on earth to got to the place where I found it, I suppose I'll never know.

Thanks for that, nice to see what it would have looked like when it was in one piece.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Folks used the river as their dump in the old days-some sadly still do.I see broken couches (and everything else) along the highway.
    Like Joni said-"You paved Paradise and put in an apocalyptic garbage dump".

Quartermain likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Quartermain

Quartermain New Member

I would have said the same thing if the river wasn't so far from civilization.

kentworld likes this.
  8. bosko69

Quarter-Might there have been an old homestead,houseboat or picnic there in days past/ any 'Mudlarking' sites nearby ?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or privy.

Debora

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, the flow of water carries things far away from where they originally landed. ;)

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What country are you in, Quartermain?

12. Quartermain

Quartermain New Member

True, but the river is very rocky, so it probably wouldn't have survived the journey down the river.

South Africa.

kentworld likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good to know! Welcome, :)

Quartermain likes this.
  14. bosko69

Some local historical research might help trace a previous area of habitation-boat launch,small dock,pioneer trail,herders/fishing shack,etc ?

Quartermain likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting avatar there Quarter......

Frederick Thomas Green (1829-1876) Born Montreal, Quebec. Died Heikhamkab, near Walvis Bay

Quartermain likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me a bit that it survived. Some of that old ironstone was tough stuff, and blue willow is still being made to this day so there's a lot of it about. It was exported darned near everywhere. Somebody's grannie's Sunday Roast platter went bust and into the privy. Later it washed out and went down the stream, fetching up where it was found.

Quartermain likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yours is rather earlier than the nice example @Debora posted. The colour on yours is more muted, and the transfer pattern less exact. Yours will be hand applied.

Quartermain and Debora like this.
  18. komokwa

in the mud on the side of a river,........

I would think that could mute the color somewhat over time.

Quartermain likes this.
  19. Quartermain

Quartermain New Member

I just thought of something else, there is an old manor house, about an hours hike from the river, and I remember reading that the owners used to go on picnics (back in 1870) down to the coast, so its highly likely they also visited the Salt River. There where also quite a few woodcutters in the area back then, so it could have come from them.

komokwa likes this.
  20. komokwa

they didn't use paper plates on a picnic back then....so.....;)

Quartermain likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted