Featured Help identifying a Chinese snuff bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Abraham Gonzalez, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Abraham Gonzalez

Abraham Gonzalez Active Member

CE908971-0217-46A3-BD93-22ADDDA23BDF.jpeg 975108BF-D825-4A88-B87F-1DC95D29AD11.jpeg 543179CD-209C-43E1-8149-65E73C464468.jpeg BEB82100-0772-4DC7-8A8E-16C988C51B5A.jpeg B76EBB30-A7AB-4CDC-A89C-41670E9B9294.jpeg Hello guys,
    I came across this Chinese snuff bottle and I was wondering if anyone can help with identifying it. I like to buy a lot of glass and this was included in a box lot I recently purchased. It measures approximately 2 1/2” tall.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Houseful, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Our snuff bottle guru should be asleep right now When @Any Jewelry sees it, I'm sure she'll dazzle us once again with her knowledge. The reverse painted puppies are darling.

3. Abraham Gonzalez

Awesome! I’ll look forward to hearing from her.

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Awake now, but I'm afraid I am going to have to disappoint you, I can't add much to what Bronwen has already said.
    It is an inside painted bottle, not antique, not by a top artist, but nicely painted by an accomplished artist. Could we see the stopper and spoon?
    I don't read Chinese, so I can't help with the signature or text.

Inside painting is a relatively late development in snuff bottles, and you rarely find an antique one. But in recent decades it has developed into an amazing art form, which is taught in Chinese art academies.
    Feast your eyes on these:
    http://snuffbottlecollector.com/wang_sijia/animals.htm

5. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

this looks like recent product,actually chinese do really make the snuff bottle so many in varies,even they make the reproduction look of the older one, hope you didn't buy more than 10$:rolleyes:

Abraham Gonzalez and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Might be just a matter of taste, but I have to disagree on this one: It's a very poor job at all levels. Poor execution, poor composition, poor brushwork. I've sat with artists/artisans reverse painting snuff bottles, and there are amazing ones out there, but this is not even worth looking at. Low grade artisan work made for the tourist market most probably.
    "nicely painted by an accomplished artist"

Abraham Gonzalez likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Jaybee, why on earth do you think I posted the link? Didn't you get that?
    I am generally a bit more subtle in my language than you are, tend to be not too rough on people. That is a cultural difference and no reason to attack me, especially since you never even reply to my tags, thank you very much. If you actually spent your time here today replying and helping everyone who tagged you, like others do, you wouldn't even have had time to attack other members. I guess we all have different priorities on Antiquers. But don't worry, I won't tag you again.

Apologies to Abraham, back to the bottle. I have seen a lot worse than this one. People with salmon coloured blobs for heads, etc.
    But I agree, it is a product for export. The painter is accomplished, meaning proficient, in what he or she is doing, a grade up from the salmon coloured blobs.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    kyratango, Abraham Gonzalez and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

It came in a box with other glass, so I suspect Abraham bought the box for the other glass and this was more like a freebie.:)

Abraham Gonzalez and judy like this.
  9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

First of all, I apologize if what I said came across wrong.

Second, I was not attacking you, why on earth would I do that? I was just expressing my opinion, and started my post stating that clearly, "Might be just a matter of taste, but I have to disagree on this one." That was it. No more and no less.

I wasn't being rough or not subtle. Just matter of fact, in fact.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "especially since you never even reply to my tags" --- honestly have no idea what you are talking about. If there is something I am missing, just let me know. Is there any sort of communication you sent I did not reply to? Wasn't intentional, just not aware of it I think.

I come over here when I have a moment, or something in the email I am sent catches my eye, and try to be of help when I see something I think I may be of help with. I'm certainly not a pro like you and so many others here. I just collect what I like and can afford. That's pretty much it.

And no, I didn't get that --- whatever was supposed to be that I should have gotten from the link.

And yes, there might be some cultural difference somewhere that "roughed" things up. English is not my native language so some (many? lots? of) subtleties most likely escape me.

All this said, I end as I started: apologies if anything I said offended you; there was no intention whatsoever.

kyratango, Jivvy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2719F783-4093-414C-BBF9-5156CD66E077.jpeg 03BB4E13-F2D3-4E8B-9CAD-77DCAEEDC940.jpeg @JayBee
    Maybe you never set your profile to get alerts when you are tagged? The way I have written your name above, is a request for you to look at a particular thread.
    The first photo shows what you check in your profile settings to receive alerts.
    The second photo, shows if you have alerts, you will see a red number. If you click that, it will open and you can click the threads to see where someone has asked a question of you.

If you need help, just ask, and I can try to explain better.

kyratango, Jivvy, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Apology accepted, JayBee.
    English is not my native language either btw, and I am from a culture that is a minority even in my own country. We tend to be more subtle in expressing ourselves than some, to avoid offense.

The link I posted is to a video of bottles by a contemporary painter.

I will explain the tag thing later, it is dinnertime here.;)

12. Any Jewelry

The tag thing: when you want someone to take a look at a thread or post, you 'tag' them by typing @ and their forum name, like this: @JayBee . As you can see the name appears in blue, and you know that person will get an alert (if he/she hasn't disabled the alerts).
    I tagged you a couple of times for Chinese translation help. Don't worry, I wouldn't tag you for every one, I know many are just too mundane.
    I am not a pro, very few of us are. We just muddle long, so to speak.;)

kyratango and judy like this.
  13. Abraham Gonzalez

Thanks for your reply. I was just curious and wasn’t expecting much but thought maybe this was a decent one(my knowledge is absolutely zero with snuff bottles or anything Chinese) but yes it was included in a collection of other art glass pieces so I didn’t lose anything. Thank you all for your input!

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hey chill out guys,it's sunday!

kyratango and judy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Don't worry, all done and dusted yesterday (saturday), so sunday is fine.:)

Silver Wolf, kyratango and judy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I actually like that the art work is in the muted tones & style of traditional Chinese painting. The African wildlife on the bottles at AJ's link are technically dazzling, but too much like calendar photos for my taste. I'd rather this:

[​IMG]

Just wish the stopper color were more harmonious with the rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted