Featured Help identifying a jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ImaBit101, Feb 12, 2024.

1. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

Hello folks.

We found this jug in our loft space a few years ago; I thought it was about time I figured out if it's worth something or junk!

I've spent time googling, randomly trying identify anything about it... With not much luck. Looks similar to a few Georgian pieces.

There is no identity markings I can see. Also it had been damaged around the rim as you can see.

Any help or opinions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was expecting to see a little brown jug. I would call this a ewer, part of a washstand set that would have had a basin to go with it. What a great find.

The old man under the spout reflects the tradition of personifying rivers as venerable gents pouring water from a jar. In this picture it is the River Tiber.

Tuccia Tiber Romulus Roma adj.jpg

3. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Are you: philnisco@philnisco on X

faceon the jug.jpg

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

How big is it? Looks mid-19th c to me. Lovely shape and detail.

5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It’s not going to have a great deal of value with that chip/repair. It dates to the second half of the 19th century and the pattern is printed rather than hand painted. If it turned up at our local auction I wouldn’t expect it to fetch more than £5

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful pitcher/ewer, part of a washstand set as Bronwen mentioned. I’d say 1890s. The repair does remove most of its value, but I’d hope for $20 anyway .

ImaBit101, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

I think your pitcher was likely made by D F Haynes Chesapeake Pottery circa 1892. Here's a photo from a 1909 book, 'The Pottery and Porcelain of the United States' by Edwin Barber. It's part of a semi-porcelain toilet set. Haynes didn't always mark their stuff.

Here's the following page from the book noting that the Montessan toilet set was copied by 'a celebrated English firm'. While your pitcher isn't an exact match to the photo I have seen marked Haynes pieces where there are variations to a design and given a different name.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20240212-150928~2.png
    IMG_20240212_165439~2.jpg
    Comparing the pitchers that looks like a match. Miraculous @JB Miller !
    content (16).jpeg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  9. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

Wow you guys I really appreciate all that feedback. Interesting just to know some things about it.

It holds 10 pints of water, so yeah it's pretty big.

kentworld and komokwa like this.
  10. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

Probably should have said for identifying, I'm in the UK :)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Knowing the location always helps.:)
    The spout on your ewer looks longer, slightly different shape and at a different angle, so I think yours is an example of the copy by "a celebrated English firm". Would be nice to know which firm that was.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    ImaBit101 likes this.
  13. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

It would indeed be.

We've been very much enjoying reading everybody's insights :happy:

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, I'll revise my thinking -- such a size would be part of a wash stand set and probably latter part of the 19th c. However, parts of the decoration harken back to earlier design motifs. The Victorians were keen to explore other eras in their designs, so there are neo-classical, gothic/medieval, renaissance designs during the Victorian age. As noted above, it is not a high-end item, but it is charming.

ImaBit101 likes this.
  15. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

As it has a little history to it and looks interesting, but also not valuable,we are thinking of finding a place for it somewhere, rather than just selling it for very little.

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good 4 u.....it deserves to live and be admired!!

ImaBit101 likes this.
  17. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

Haynes was downtown Baltimore - originally being from Baltimore I have sold many Haynes wares including the pictured jug twice - your jug doesn't match the Haynes example - my guess would be English / Mintons - maybe that can be another starting point...

ImaBit101 and komokwa like this.
  18. ImaBit101

ImaBit101 New Member

Thanks

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted