Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Help Identifying a Repeated Maker’s Mark on a Gold and Turquoise Bracelet
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Dr.Love, post: 13204143, member: 123864"]Hello everyone,</p><p><br /></p><p>I’m hoping someone here can help me identify the maker’s mark and possible country of origin of a family heirloom bracelet.</p><p><br /></p><p>The bracelet is yellow gold with a grape-and-vine openwork design and turquoise cabochons. It weighs 22.87 grams and has three clearly stamped 750 marks, indicating 18-karat gold if authentic.</p><p><br /></p><p>What I’m most interested in is a separate symbol or group of characters stamped repeatedly on the bracelet. As you can see in the attached close-up photos, the same mark appears in several places. Some impressions are partly interrupted by the openwork cutouts, but others are quite clear.</p><p><br /></p><p>The mark doesn’t look like a typical Latin-letter hallmark to me. It almost looks like a script or stylized symbol, and I’m wondering whether it could be associated with Armenian, Persian/Iranian, or another Middle Eastern jewelry maker—or possibly a European maker.</p><p><br /></p><p>For family background, my mother was born in Japan in 1941 and moved to the United States in the early 1970s. I believe she may have given the bracelet to my paternal grandmother, who was Armenian and had lived in Iran before coming to the United States after World War II. Unfortunately, I don’t know where or when the bracelet was originally purchased.</p><p><br /></p><p>I’m researching its history and would love to identify the mark, maker, or approximate period of manufacture. I’m not looking to sell the bracelet; I simply want to understand what I have and learn more about its history.</p><p><br /></p><p>Has anyone seen this particular mark before, or can you recommend a reference catalogue that might help identify it?</p><p><br /></p><p>Thank you for any insight![/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Dr.Love, post: 13204143, member: 123864"]Hello everyone, I’m hoping someone here can help me identify the maker’s mark and possible country of origin of a family heirloom bracelet. The bracelet is yellow gold with a grape-and-vine openwork design and turquoise cabochons. It weighs 22.87 grams and has three clearly stamped 750 marks, indicating 18-karat gold if authentic. What I’m most interested in is a separate symbol or group of characters stamped repeatedly on the bracelet. As you can see in the attached close-up photos, the same mark appears in several places. Some impressions are partly interrupted by the openwork cutouts, but others are quite clear. The mark doesn’t look like a typical Latin-letter hallmark to me. It almost looks like a script or stylized symbol, and I’m wondering whether it could be associated with Armenian, Persian/Iranian, or another Middle Eastern jewelry maker—or possibly a European maker. For family background, my mother was born in Japan in 1941 and moved to the United States in the early 1970s. I believe she may have given the bracelet to my paternal grandmother, who was Armenian and had lived in Iran before coming to the United States after World War II. Unfortunately, I don’t know where or when the bracelet was originally purchased. I’m researching its history and would love to identify the mark, maker, or approximate period of manufacture. I’m not looking to sell the bracelet; I simply want to understand what I have and learn more about its history. Has anyone seen this particular mark before, or can you recommend a reference catalogue that might help identify it? Thank you for any insight![/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Help Identifying a Repeated Maker’s Mark on a Gold and Turquoise Bracelet
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...