help identifying a small desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by William123ddd, May 18, 2020.

1. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Anything you can tell me about this desk is appreciated. It was given to me from someone who moved from Canada but also lived for a period to time in the upper NE area and in Washington state. They bought it at a swap meet about 40 years ago but couldn't remember where. There are no identifying marks, and all the turned parts were clearly not made from a singular pattern in a factory. Would you care to suggest a swap meet or flea market value?

Hope everyone's staying safe.

Attached Files:

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not an antique, but vintage 1960-80 "Kountry Time." (Just my designation, not a "thing"). Swap meet value might be $50, depending on where the swap meet is and if it's a good day all around :)

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Thank you for the prompt response! Have a great day.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but think this could be older than that; like late Victorian. It looks like there is a drawer that you pull out from the front - if so take some pics of the drawer. How high is this (you should post dimensions because we can't tell)?

I'm thinking possibly a washstand something like the following (https://www.loveantiques.com/antique-furniture/washstands/victorian-stripped-pine-wash-stand-108809):

Anyway I agree on the probable value since demand for either period or reproduction Victorian isn't high these days.
    [​IMG]

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

IMO the O.P.'s piece has rather clumsily gathered a few Victorian elements, magnified the scale, and produced something stronger in romanticism than accuracy. A common enough practice back in the 1970s and 80s when Victorian furniture was going for high dollars and the need for romanticism in the general population was being met with non-academic reinterpretations.

But like you say, Jeff, the value is pretty much the same these days.

verybrad likes this.
  6. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Thank your for your inputs and for supplying the picture. It does not have a front drawer and has the same height, style, color and similar wood species based upon the washstand. I'm going to error on the side of "reproduction" and display it as 50ish dollars or best offer at a later swap meet.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Thank you!

8. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Thank you!

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is a table that has been reconstructed.
    The top being cut off here.
    upload_2020-5-19_10-39-58.png

These look to be a different wood. Also look attached
    upload_2020-5-19_10-41-2.png

The legs look too heavy for the table top. Look more like library table or dining table legs. Also notice again the color of the wood on the round ball.

They did a nice job, but it looks unbalanced.
    I agree with the price. I'd start at $65 and take $50.
    upload_2020-5-19_10-42-36.png

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. William123ddd

William123ddd New Member

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted