Help identifying age and artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Marissa, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Marissa

Marissa Member

Hello, I got this artwork last month at an estate sale in Raleigh, NC. It came with a notecard taped on the back that stated: "Bought in Paris". She was a traveler and had quite a bit of art at the sale. It was framed in NC by a glass company that is still in business and definitely does not make frames now. Maybe it used to have glass over the front? I took the back off, which was taped with old masking tape to find the canvas fabric taped to some purple-ish cardboard, secured again with masking tape. The stamp on the bak says Ernest Glass Co Inc. The frame is 15" x 12".

Photo 1: Brightened photo of the artwork
    Photo 2: In darker light
    Photo 3: Upclose photo of the signature
    Photo 4: The back with the first layer of cardboard taken off, showing how the canvas is taped to the cardboard.
    Photo 5: Upclose photo of a corner
    Photo 6: Photo of the full back before I removed the old tape to open it up.
    Photo 7: Upclose photo of the framing stamp.

Let me know if any other photos or information would help. Thanks!

IMG_6201_50.jpg IMG_6199_50.jpg IMG_6289_1_90.png IMG_6286_1_50_1_49.jpg IMG_6287_50.jpg IMG_6204_50.jpg

IMG_6256 (1).PNG

Hamburger likes this.
  2. Naturally

Naturally New Member

Hello Marissa. Welcome. Very descriptive post with plenty of clear photos.
    I'm new here as well but have seen a few threads that strike me as similar to yours.
    There's plenty of smart folks here that will be along shortly with their thoughts, in the meantime, I'd like to offer mine.
    Disclaimer: This is only my opinion. Based on what I think I've learned here so far.
    I'm probably wrong.
    Again, the smart folks are coming.

I think the canvas wrapped board was likely acquired in Paris and was brought back to the US where Ernest Glass Co Inc framed it. They probably did not cover it with glass.
    The style of painting is similar to other rainy Paris street scenes that are created for the tourist trade. There seems to be little detail in either the sky, or the buildings on the left hand side. The lamp posts also lack detail and look a bit askew.
    Just my humble opinion. It's lovely though.

Here's a link to another thread that was posted here recently that may be of interest to you.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/watercolor-artist-identification.59004/#post-3669690

Marissa likes this.
  3. Naturally

Naturally New Member

It's probably a long lost masterpiece Marissa.
    Don't listen to me.

Marissa likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree that yours is a souvenir painting produced in a quick, colorful manner for commercial purposes. "Rainy Night in Paris" is a very common subject for these types of paintings. If contemporary to frame, I'd date it to the 1960s when that type of linen liner was widely used.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted