Featured Help identifying an old basket

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MissSissy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. MissSissy

MissSissy Member

Good day everyone!

I found a basket I couldn't leave a garage sale without! It's so unique looking.

I need help figuring out what it is, when it may have been made, and its value.

Searching through some of the books some of you recommended in my very first post (specifically Art of the Basket), the closest I can find that is similar to it is on page 119; the bamboo pot from Myanmar. If you have the book, you will note there are many differences but it's as close as I can get.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
    Sissy

IMG_3942.jpg IMG_3943.jpg IMG_3944.jpg IMG_3945.jpg IMG_3946.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Y'know....ya show em a book...a good book....& then....it's like they don't need ya anymore.............:sour::sour::sour:

Oh....But Wait !!!:happy:

Page 119 , top right corner ....is described as a Chinese Tiffin Basket ..........
    which is close enough.....even though not embellished with coins beads and tassels !

It's pretty much a lunch pail , and yours is is well used and a little long in the tooth......but still nice although I can't venture a guess on age or estimated value.

KingofThings, cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
  3. MissSissy

MissSissy Member

Thank you for your reply Komokwa. I am embarrassed I messed up the pages/reference to the basket. :shame: Boy, my brain cells must've been out to lunch, and in that lunch pail!!!!

Thanks to you Komokwa, I was able to put my questionable brain cells to use. I searched and found many old Chinese lunch pail/boxes. Many in much better shape and exquisitely painted. After viewing the other baskets out there, I am thankful I only paid $5 for the basket. I guess that's one way to learn basket collecting. ;)

Maybe I can turn around and sell for what I paid for it. I would rather have a collection of value my daughter will enjoy keeping or sell, vs. random baskets she would have to drive to Goodwill when I'm gone.

Again, thank you!

cxgirl, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well said Sissy !!
    buy the best you can afford and remember quality always counts !

BUT.....
    Buy because you like what you're buying, and wish to enjoy the purchase in your own surroundings.

If your kid does not share your love of the art form she may well end up driving an expensive collection to the goodwill store just as easily as a low value collection.

5. CBri

CBri Member

I walked into my favorite thrift store last fall and found two handmade baskets from a known basket co. got to the checkout with one and found it was half-price on all baskets. I still get happy just looking at them. If you like 'em buy 'em. You can never have too many.

Draft saved Draft deleted