Featured Help! Identifying Antique try Desk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Safe Haven Collectibles, Feb 10, 2019.

1. After some research, I believe that Baumeister translates to Master Builder. Does this seem right? Any ideas on how to track down further details from the information provided?

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

your link is showing the minutes of a nearby independent town which is not part of Augsburg, only in Augsburg county.

and then there were certain nights...
    https://www.google.ch/search?tbm=is...A8Q4lYIKigC&biw=1184&bih=548&dpr=1.62#imgrc=_

according an exibition in the Fuggersiedlung which I had the "pleasure" of visiting, there were practically no Nazis in Augsburg and only appr. 70 % voted for them. so one starts to wonder if they existed at all...
    and of course nobody knows anything about the nearby Messerschmitt factory that worked with slave-labor...

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like Günther to me.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looked very German to my Dutch eyes, but the possible US state shape threw me off course.:confused:
    But I see it has been identified as German, which it totally looks like. Heavy and sturdy but slightly decorated usually spells German here in Europe. Other Europeans usually think it too heavy.

Dutch furniture is generally more elegant and they use more expensive and beautiful woods. Often marquetry and... don't get me started.;)

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Master builder as in buildings, not furniture.:) It is his last name, not his profession.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. Aww that makes sense. Thank you very much for the information, it has been fun to trace the piece back to its origin!

Any ideas of valuation? Would this be a piece we need to insure?

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

We don't generally do valuations here, they vary too much from place to place.
    Where I live it is not something you'd need to insure separately. I can't imagine it would need to be anywhere else, but let's wait for the others.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I read here that brown furniture doesn't sell. in Europe they sell for app. 250 - 400 $ when cheap. most Europeans like the Jugendstil and especially when it's sturdy and well built. it keeps its usefulness endlessly. of course there are many wimps around today that wouldn't lift it and prefer to go to a studio for a bit of powerlifting...

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted