Help identifying Asian art.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Fredrik Lislebø, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Hi. I bought these two items in Norway for an equivalent of two dollars. I have no idea what these are and the kind of materials these are made of, but would like to know.
    Can anyone of you help me identify them? It might just be trash, but im curious. The head is about 5 centimeters tall and the sitting one is about 10 centimeters tall. IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0165.JPG

i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Fredrik! I’m sure someone will be along who can tell you something about these. :)

3. Thank you. That would be great. But Il have patience.

4. i need help

Patience will reward you. This is an international forum, so the right person may be in a different time zone. Fear not I’m sure you will get a lot of info! :)
    @Any Jewelry @AuDragon
    Or anyone with knowledge on these, thank you. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

while the 2nd looks like carved stone...the 1st looks like a resin mold...

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Resin and carved stone. Just don't ask me the age on the stone piece. The resin is probably less than 20 years old. It would be nice on a shelf though.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  7. When zooming in on the head i see small bubbles all over. So i think that is resin as you said. The secon one is real heavy for its size. So stone is probably right too. But what kind of stone? And what is it depicting? Thanks for the answers by the way.

8. evelyb30

The second one is a Buddha statue. The stone could be just about anything.

i need help likes this.
  9. komokwa

Buddha with the right hand down.......

@Any Jewelry will be by to school us in the proper country and meaning of the position...:happy::happy:

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  10. evelyb30

It's Thai style, but where it was actually made???? Not a clue.

i need help likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Try scratching the green one with your fingernail,soapstone is easily scratched and the piece has many scratches already.

12. My fingernails wont make a scratch. But with a stanley knife it scratched easily. (on the bottom side)

13. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum Fredrik....regards...pewter2

i need help likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Fredrik.
    The second one is a Thai Buddha, soapstone by the look of it. A nice souvenir. @AuDragon is our go to person for everything Thai.:)
    Yep.:) The position is called the Bhumisparsa Mudra, the gesture of calling the earth to testify to his enlightenment. The Buddha was challenged by the demon Mara, and asked who could bear witness to his enlightenment. Buddha simply said, the earth can, and touched the earth.
    A Buddha statue in this position is called Akshobhya, the Unshakable, because he remained unshaken through all the tricks Mara played to tempt him.

The resin one could be a replica of a Roman figure, maybe from one of the Roman colonies. Roman married women usually covered their heads when they were outside.
    If it is Asian, I would think Bactrian, or something like that. So West Asian influenced by Greek styles.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    aaroncab, komokwa and i need help like this.
  15. Lots of knowledge on this forum. Amazing. Thanks for all the information. I feel they were worth the two dollars i spent on them. Will look good on my shelf.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

They certainly are.

i need help likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Fredrik, would you like to add your name to the translator thread? It is where those who can read other languages than English can offer their skills, and other members can find the person they need for a translation. On a voluntary basis, of course.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/calling-all-translators.27668/

i need help likes this.
  18. komokwa

On a voluntary basis.....

Wait...what.....you guys get paid...& I'm not ???

Bawhahahaha !!!!!! :playful::playful::playful::playful:

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. i need help

Do you speak Klingon?

Draft saved Draft deleted