Help identifying Bone/Ivory Figurine Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alon22, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Alon22

Alon22 New Member

i found this bone/ivory figurine several years ago at a thrift store. It looks to be hand carved and feels very old but I cannot find any information on it. It shows a figure of a man carrying what seems to be a “hunt” animal on his back (see eye marks on both sides of figure). If anyone has any insight on the figure, it’s age, material, or origins it would be very helpful! 5638EB65-6162-479B-A9C3-E6C3E2D4BF28.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I'd say African, and ivory:peeking:
    More knowledgeable members for ethnic pieces will show soon or late;)

Welcome on Antiquers, Alon22, and kudos for posting pics the right way :joyful:

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and Alon22 like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A nice figurine, Alon, and welcome.
    I get a Congolese vibe, ivory, with some age. But I am sure @2manybooks can correct me on that.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  4. Alon22

Alon22 New Member

Thanks so much for the information!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Definitely African. I cannot be more specific, though. It might be from the Congo area, but it might also be from West Africa, which has a long tradition of ivory carving. It was not made for a traditional use, but for sale, and it is hard to find comparative souvenirs with good provenance. The style is rather simple. It might be helpful to determine if the elongated back of the head represents hair, or a woven hat. If a hat, I would lean more toward the Congo. As a guess on date, I would say 1960s.

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted