Featured Help Identifying Cabinet

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Janzen, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Janzen

Janzen New Member

DAE1020F-336C-481B-95D0-21F99CC8CBE8.jpeg Hi! Would anyone be able to help provide any information about this cabinet? I’m not able to find a makers mark and I’m curious to know more about it. I was told my great grandmother brought it with her when she came to the U.S. from Germany. ??
    Thank you!!

Joe2007, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Germany makes sense. Mid 19th C sideboard.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I could well believe that it came from Germany. I'd call it a walnut credenza ca. 1880, Renaissance Revival with a little Eastlake or Aesthetic influence. Beautiful!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Janzen.
    I agree, it looks very German, and ca 1880 sound fine to me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Janzen

Janzen New Member

Thank you for responding. This is very helpful!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's lovely, and can't imagine how many people shipped such large items from overseas to the US so long ago!!!!!! From what I can see, only one finial gone!!!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Janzen

Janzen New Member

There are 2 finials that need to be reattached, but I do have them! :)

8. Aquitaine

NICE!!!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Janzen

Janzen New Member

Do you think it’s worth anything or it’s worth is more in the sentimental value?

I’ve been torn between offering it for sale or keeping it. It’s beautiful but a little too ornate for my personal taste.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

@verybrad will add some input on that, but some of the value will depend on your present location. Also, a lot of vintage large furniture is just not bringing a lot of money these days......still hate to say it.....If you REALLY love it, your best bet might be to keep it IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM!!!! And it's not as ornate as some pieces we've seen posted here!!!! But you're right.....it IS all a matter of what you prefer!!

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ghopper is doing all my work these days …. LOL! His analysis is spot-on. Value is tough. We had a similar age larger German walnut cabinet in shop that we couldn't even get $300.00 for. Ended up sending to auction where it bought less than half that. We are in a semi-rural Midwest location so you might do better in or near a big city. There was a time when something like this would have brought $1,000.00 or more. Regardless of location, you will get no where near that these days.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Joe2007 like this.
  12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I suggest keeping it if you have the space. As mentioned above the market for antique furniture is not good. Would sell for a pittance in my area of the country -- possibly around that $300 mark Brad tried to retail his piece at AND unless you wanted to do the legwork to find a buyer your take would be minus any consignment/auctioneer fees.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Agreed, if you have room for it, just keep it. Nothing that is currently made is as nice as that, and it will cost you more.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Janzen

Janzen New Member

Thank you for all your replies!!

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

time for a taste adjustment....:playful:... it's a beauty !

16. Janzen

Janzen New Member

Haha growing up, my mom and I referred to it as “the shrine.” My father loved it so its home was in our living room. Drove my mom crazy!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. not uniform in style. very typical German Historismus with Biedermeier elements from 1820s. sometimes named Altdeutsch. 1860s to 1900s if made on the countryside, smalltown etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted