Help identifying chrysanthemum plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by colridge, Aug 29, 2018.

1. colridge

colridge New Member

Anyone help me identify this old plate? (Country, pattern, age, link to more information.) 9.5" diameter. Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

227A2E27-A368-4E5F-9816-D26F595A7770.jpeg 80822336-47A5-45B7-8E83-DBC40D28AC63.jpeg Welcome to the Forum, Colridge!
    If you check Full size All images on your photos they will be more viewable. There is a time limit to do that though. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I'm wondering if it might be early 1800s Chinese.
    Wait for others to give an opinion.

Very pretty. I like it.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome colridge.
    It is a beautiful plate. I am always in favour of removing any metal clamp things, if you can do it without damaging the plate. They wear away the enamel. You can display it on one of those lacquered wooden stands.

I'd go for Japanese, with that textile pattern border and the colour scheme.
    Chrysanthemums are the most important flower symbol in Japan. They stand for longevity, and are the crest of the imperial family.
    The Japanese National Chrysanthemum Day is also called Happiness Festival.
    Japanese ceramics are not my forte, so I can't help with the age, sorry.

Chinese floral designs usually have more movement in them, if that makes sense.

The reddish pattern is what I mean by textile pattern border:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    i need help and judy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful design on the plate! But I know nothing about it.

And welcome to the forum, @colridge

i need help likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Usually I agree about removing wire plate hooks. However, in this case, that one has been on there for a looong time. I think I would leave it. Doesn't appear to be harming the plate. You might actually do more harm trying to take it off.

judy likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I still use wire hangers for items to be hung. The important thing is to be sure that you have NO TENSION holding to the plate. I have a few with springs but I have over stretched them so there is NO tension touching the plate. I also put plastic aquarium tubing over the hooks so no metal touches the rim. The only trouble is some times the planes flying over will cause a slight vibration.
    greg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. i need help

767ADBBD-5D2E-4511-AA73-9D884BB317F3.jpeg Too strange! I found modern reproductions, but can’t find any information.

9. i need help

51796B79-468B-4889-B7CF-DBFD6B0C70AF.jpeg 7E030800-79FE-4D76-A78E-63AE21B0EFFD.jpeg
    So I found this, but it’s a broken or removed ad. I don’t know if anyone can judge the accuracy of this information, or maybe somehow use this to find some other one.

Draft saved Draft deleted