Featured Help identifying dining room set please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dr815, Apr 3, 2023.

1. dr815

dr815 New Member

Hello all,
    My wife and I were given this set by her mother about 15 years ago and she said that she purchased it at an estate sale about 20 years prior to that. There's a table, 6 chairs, cupboard(?), credenza(?), and buffet(?). Thankfully, most things have a label that says Lifetime Furniture and sometimes, Grand Rapids and Stuart Oak.
    There are numbers marked:
    Buffet - 4195
    Credenza - 5195
    Cupboard - 6195
    Table - 7195
    What I could find about Lifetime seemed to talk about their Mission furniture, which this sure doesn't seem to be. I greatly appreciate any insight anyone can provide. Please correct my furniture names as well!
    Thanks in advance!
    - Dan
    IMG_1287_r.jpg
    IMG_1292_r.jpg
    IMG_1289_r.jpg
    IMG_1293_r.jpg
    IMG_1290_r.jpg
    IMG_1297_r.jpg
    IMG_1298_r.jpg
    IMG_1120_r.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a lovely set.
    if you're keeping it , enjoy it.... if yer looking to sell it .....piece by piece may be the way to go ......... because it's used brown furniture....which is a slow marketplace at present.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Dan:

You've got a nice 1920s-30s Jacobethan Revival dining room set. Some call it Depression-era furniture, or even just brown furniture. It's a nice, well made set that could easily last another 100 years with minimal care.
    Sadly, the ongoing furniture depression means that this set has lost most of its monetary value. A whole generation of people has convinced themselves that they're into "experiences," not "things." That will change with age, but in the meantime hold on to your set if you have any use for it at all. Grand Rapids was once the most prolific furniture making city in the U.S. and much of it was very good quality indeed.

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very NICE looking set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverbell and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. dr815

dr815 New Member

Thank you so much for your responses. Unfortunately, we are going to be moving to a much smaller place and won't be able to take the set with us. I will look into seeing who might be interested in it in the North GA area, and now I know what to actually call it!

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

dr815, silverbell, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To me, finding beautiful things is a great experience.:cool:
    Trying to find out more about my beautiful things, along with all the rabbit holes, is a great experience too.

10. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

From a former owner of a similar set: think carefully about each of those pieces! Especially the credenza. Mine (which was a tad larger) fit into a 320sf room. (Twice!)

Losing the dining room table (a pull apart one like yours) made me very sad; it could comfortably seat twelve. :)
    But hey, square footage is what it is!

11. dr815

dr815 New Member

That is so neat! Thank you for finding this! I was totally striking out on finding any matching images when I was attempting to determine what this set actually was.

12. dr815

dr815 New Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Life Time is quality furniture. Their mission furniture brings the big bucks but this should also have some value. While out of fashion to most, don't just sell for pennies. Since in North GA, you might need to market to Atlanta or Chattanooga to find a buyer.

komokwa, silverbell and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Moriarty

Moriarty Active Member

I would say it's looks Tudor in my fledgling knowledge and that's makes it even more beautiful to me personally. Very scarce here in Canada.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too interesting. So not a set per se but reproductions/interpretations of Medieval pieces found in museum collection?

Debora

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is my impression as well.

Debora likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly makes them of interest.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member