Featured Help identifying gilt/enamel fine vertu

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ChrisinFlorida, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Hello all I hope someone on here can assist me with identifying this trinket box I inherited. I have looked online using all the keyword searches I could think of but I can find nothing close to this box anywhere. The box appears to be green enamel and gilt, with gold leaf, 5 turquoise stones, and has pearls along the edges and one inside. I am unable to find a makers mark anywhere on the box.

Im not sure where my grandmother found it, but I do know she spent a lot of time in Europe and Russia. She has a lot of Russian antiques, some of which I also inherited.

Hope someone can help.

Attached Files:

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is gorgeous!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!!! No clue but WOW! :)

4. Thank you! I just wish I knew what it is! She most certainly had great taste.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

Someone here will know. :)

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Thall shalt not covet. Thall shalt not covet...

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome to the boards!

I know you said you didn't see a maker's mark, have you gone over it with a magnifying glass and looked at every little teeny tiny area?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

Ha! "These are not the droids you are looking for"
    Good luck with that. ;)

9. "Say it slowly" I'll check again when I get home for sure. Im familiar with checking silver for markings but didnt see anything of the sort on this piece. Ill check again for anything really small. Its honestly baffling to me that something like this doesnt have an obvious name or company engraved somewhere.

komokwa, KingofThings and tyeldom3 like this.
  10. Do you guys recognize the styling pertaining to an Era or Country of it though from anything youve seen?

KingofThings likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a guess,but I think its 1870s-80s,possibly French,and I think it might have held a tiara or some sort of jewelry . I also agree that its drool worthy !

12. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Wow is right, that is so beautiful. I hope you find an answer! I'm very curious too.:)

13. Update: So I got home and inspected much more heavily this time and found two things. On the underside of the clasp I found 925. This leads me to believe this piece is gilt silver. On the bottom of the foot you can barely see in the pic above an indentation. There is something inscribed in that indentation and its too small for me to read, even with double magnifying glass action. So Im going to see if I can get hold of a jewelers loop.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aha. If it says 925, then it's probably 20th century, and almost certainly European. By that, I mean not British, too. It won't be Russian. Could be French, or maybe Swiss. Maybe maybe Italian.

KingofThings and ChrisinFlorida like this.
  15. Im thinking French personally. Ill take a better pic of the pearl mount in the center that appears to be a fleur de lis.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Chris, there's a lesson there.
    Something that finely crafted....and older.....look in every nook and cranny for some kind of marking.

Oh....& say a prayer to Granny....she was nice with ya !

17. komokwa, this is true. One of the items I was fortunate enough to receive was this bronze as well. Its makers mark is a bit more obvious... :)

Attached Files:

18. komokwa

A Bit ???

Heeheehee !!!!!!!

Nice bronze !

I'm not seeing fleur de lys , so ya more pics of the clam shell please...

( I do see the Playboy Bunny in your 2nd pic on the lower left....
    but that's just me ....being me !!! ;):hilarious::hilarious:..)...

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Haha I didnt notice that! I can say I have a gold leaf playboy bunny :p Forgot to take a pic of the pearl mount, will take that tonight. I also emailed a contact at Sothebys about it and am waiting to hear back. The contact from Christies replied to my inquiry and said, get this, its worth under 200 bucks. Im pretty sure she was drunk or high. Literally the most laughable reply Ive ever received from anyone, ever.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. komokwa

Did she know that it's marked 925 ??
    Just askin...

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted