Featured Help identifying Kjenge? Norwegian Ale Bowl/Cup

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by yungsorjuana, Apr 17, 2021.

1. yungsorjuana

yungsorjuana New Member

Hi! I found this bowl/cup that I believe is a Kjenge at my aunt and uncle's house. They don't know much about the history or background, but purchased it a long while back because they liked the horse-shape of it. It's made of wood and very light, and has worn paint on the sides (as pictured). There's text on the bottom, but I can't figure out what it says. If anyone has any information in regards to the age, translation of the text, or origin, it would be of much appreciation. Thank you!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You are right, it is a Norwegian kjenge. There are members who will know what it says, maybe someone can look up the names for you.

yungsorjuana likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I tried to tag Torkel Oftedal, but it didn't work. He hasn't been here for a while, so he probably wouldn't have replied anyway.
    @The swede and @Fredrik Lislebø haven't been here for some time either.

5. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I'm sure this doesn't help to identify your cup, but the signature/mark is similar to Peter Hunt's "Anno Ovince" which he signed on all his items with a date (Anno 46 for 1946). See photo. Peter Hunt was famous for painting objects (mostly furniture and small collectibles) in the Norwegian folk style, very colorful and popular and today very collectible. He had a studio on Cape Cod.
    peterhuntsignature.jpg

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

As NewEngland suggests, it's a 1943 Peter Hunt piece, though always believed his painting style was based more on Pennsylvania Dutch than Norwegian (have a couple of his books packed away somewhere). The carver certainly was going for the look of a Norwegian ale bowl, but it's just not quite right, including the painting - on the plus side, would think it has more value than a genuine kjenge of the same age and quality...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. yungsorjuana

yungsorjuana New Member

thanks so much!!! it looks just like Peter Hunt's art and I'll be sure to pass it along to my family!!!

NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted