Featured Help Identifying Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Wiking, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Wiking

Wiking New Member

20200912_183515.jpg 20200912_183515.jpg 20200912_183515.jpg 20200912_183515.jpg 20200912_183443.jpg 20200912_183502.jpg 20200912_183537.jpg 20200912_183546.jpg This lamp belonged to my wife's grandfather, which would put it in the early 1900s I should think. We are trying to identify it and find out whether it has any value.

The design is painted and is done on the inside of the lamp shade. We do not know if the base is original, but it is very heavy, like pewter perhaps.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Wiking - Welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

That appears to be a very nice lamp, but this is definitely not my area of expertise. However, someone else will be along directly I am sure.

Until then could you remove the shade & look at the bottom for any marks. It would be a good idea to post a photo of the bottom along with some close-ups of any marks you see. A photo of the cord & plug would also be a good idea.

While you are at it, please go back & choose "full image" on your photos. It makes it easier for folks to see the item without having to go back & forth between photos. :happy:

judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Wiking

Wiking New Member

Thank you. The lamp is not at our house, it's at her mother's. My wife just told me that she thinks there are no identifying marks...but can't be certain.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Nice lamp... base has Art Nouveau aesthetic - 1900-15. Look for an artist signature on the shade when you get a chance.

bercrystal, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Flowers on the base look like lotus. The shade is 'reverse painted.' The more descriptive terms we can round up, the better our chance of learning more. It reminds me both of Tiffany era & Frank Lloyd Wright mission furnishings. I think it's the real deal & not repro.

6. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Search, “antique Handel reverse image lamp”

Hopefully they missed the mark.

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  7. bercrystal

Well, the next time y'all go to visit Mom take your camera & snap us some more photos. Just post them to this thread & please do not start a new thread because that will just cause confusion. When you post to the thread it automatically goes back up to the top of the thread.

mmarco102, judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Wiking

Wiking New Member

Appreciate everyone's input. I'll get back to you. :)

9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

I am going to take a stab at this one, and say it looks like maybe from C C Co. THey did a lot of reverse painted shades with trees and bodies of water. Nice specimen you have there.

10. Wiking

Wiking New Member

Thank you. I'll get back to you when I can get more information. Her mother is 87 and I don't really want her messing with it to find a mark. :)

But I have to take what you say with a grain of salt, as you are a Jayhawk.

Go K-State!

11. Iowa Jayhawk

Going to play the Mild-cat card huh? I'm used to it. :happy:

Bronwen, bercrystal and Wiking like this.
  12. Wiking

Wiking New Member

As I'm not a collector of lamps, what does 'C C' stand for?

Bronwen likes this.
  13. bercrystal

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Not really sure. I have seen some research to indicate that C C Co was just a distributor and that they distributed various lamp manufacturers in the early 1920's. The base looks a lot more fancy than the other examples I have seen. They supposedly distributed for Bradley & Hubbard, one of the better lamp makers at that time.

15. Iowa Jayhawk

Also , thanks bercrystal...That was one of the examples H had seen before.

16. Wiking

Wiking New Member

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the info! Now you're making me want to go visit my mother-in-law again. You don't hear that every day!

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Would the distributor's name be cast into a part where it's only visible when the lamp is in pieces & yet no maker's name? Perhaps they were more a lamp assembler, buying premade components & combining bases, shades & finials. My feeling is that the finial of this one is going to be useful in identifying maker.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted