Featured Help Identifying Maker

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tnfrob, Jan 7, 2023.

1. tnfrob

tnfrob New Member

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 3.44.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 3.44.09 PM.png Hello,

I inherited a string of pearls, but they do not include a maker's mark. The only information I have is that they came from Okinawa. I have included images of the front and back of the clasp. Any help would be appreciated.

IvaPan, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; margin-top: -1px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

Some pearls develop with one or more grooves or rings encircling them. These pearls are known as ringed or circled. The primary shape of a pearl is, therefore, described as circled round or ringed oval.

You have freshwater pearls , in what looks like a nice high reflective pink shade...

they may be originally from China.

I don't see that they are individually tied off.....or have a silver or gold clasp.....
    so , nice to wear........but no high value... imo..

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's unusual to see circled pearls drilled in that direction, so that the circles run parallel to the thread the pearls are strung on.

I also have the feeling that, although sold in Okinawa, the strand originated in China. Is there a small knot between each pearl?

4. tnfrob

tnfrob New Member

Hello and thank you for your help. There is no knot in between. The pearls are strung very snuggly together.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I am sure these look lovely when worn, but this is not an expensive strand of pearls, probably assembled in a factory in China. Knowing the name of the maker would add nothing to the value (I promise they are not Mikimoto), which is more in the fact of they're having been in the family, rather than in the pearls themselves.

Keep them, pass them on, wear them if they suit you. They don't need to be insured & you're not going to get rich selling them. I have a strand of pearls that were my grandmother's. Even though artificial, I still treasure them.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

As an aside, interesting thing on Antiques Roadshow last night. Good cultured pearl string, nice Mappin and Webb gold clasp. But NOT knotted!

IvaPan, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @tnfrob . Enjoy the necklace. I like the color of the pearls.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted