Help identifying painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by AdamTheFirstBorn, Jan 12, 2021.

1. AdamTheFirstBorn

AdamTheFirstBorn New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and have been astonished by how knowledgeable and helpful people are based on what I've read. Could anyone help identify or provide any information about this painting? Found it at my grandfather's place but without any information about how old it, who it depicts, or even which country of origin it's from!

Thank you so much. Unknown(1).jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry and Debora like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

let's start with what u do know....
    what size is it
    do you have pics of the back...and hardware
    is it on canvas or board...
    where is it located

Help us..to help you !!!!;)

TraceyB likes this.
  4. AdamTheFirstBorn

It's quite big, maybe half the size of an adult when it comes to length. The painting is on wood and it looks Oriental. I don't have other pics as the item is with my uncle. A relative passed away and I've been asked if I want this. My uncle isn't sure if this is a genuine antique or just one of those interesting orientalist stuff produced by fancy interior decoration outfits.

the design looks a little modern to me for some reason, in spite of its "antiqued" look, but i was hoping someone here could identify/tell me definitively what it was.

TraceyB likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't think we have enuf info for that........but check back in to see if others can shed some light !! ;):):)

TraceyB likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Any Jewelry, TraceyB and Bakersgma like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

IMO it's a decorator piece, pretty cool though, not particularly old, late 20thc or so

TraceyB likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can we see the back ?

TraceyB likes this.
  9. AdamTheFirstBorn

Thanks, bloeey. Could I ask why you believe it's a decorator piece and not an old piece, and what type of clues would help to date it? I'm learning along the way and trying to figure out if it's going to be worth the cost of shipping to move it all the way to New York.

TraceyB and blooey like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

See all the squares making up the gold background?
    Gold doesn't really oxidize like that so IMO it would have been treated and possibly it's not gold at all but some other kind of metal leaf.
    This is just my opinion of course and looking at the piece in the flesh might be quite a different kettle of fish - nothing can be "certain" just by looking at a photo. The iconography looks Buddhist in style and could be copied and based on a very old type of painting.
    The frame "overlaying" the panel, although nicely done, also seems a bit OTT and a bit uncharacteristic for an old thing.

Attractive and quality piece though, I wouldn't discount it just because it isn't (or is thought not to be by me) ancient. It's a nice thing and well worth keeping - it would have been a relatively expensive object when purchased, no doubt.

Bakersgma and TraceyB like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I tend to think it's decorative just because that is usually the case. But the decorative item wouldn't exist if there wasn't some real thing to act as prototype. A look at the thing in full, including the entire frame, and a look at the back might help. How big is it? I'm guessing Chinese, Japanese, Far East... like that.

I guess if this is a Dharmapala, it would be Tibetan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. AdamTheFirstBorn

Thank you, Blooey and Moreotherstuff. I must have taken a look at the pic quite a number of times and didn't see the gold square lines. You guys really have good eyes.

Do you agree that there's been some overpainting done in the middle of the painting? The black outlines in the figure's bottom robe and the darker greens look, ... a little out of place? Wonder if someone tried restoring it halfway and then abandoning it

Just out of curiosity, when you say relatively expensive, what range are we talking about? I know it's hard to put a value on something based purely off a picture, but what would be a reasonable range?

Thanks all for helping out a newbie. I think I'll stick around - lovely forum!

Draft saved Draft deleted