Help Identifying Rolltop Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Fern77, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I've just got me an unusual rolltop desk. It's what they call a "C" roll top, made of oak, and I am guessing turn of the century. But it's got a pull out top, and it's BIG, 63 in by 35 in. There is a name painted inside in big bold, but, alas, faint letters, on one of the back panels and it looks like it says BERKES or something like that.
    I've not got to take pictures of it, so I'll post a couple taken by the seller.
    Any help would be much aprreciated.
    FB

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fern,
    Does it seem heavy for it's size? I ask only because I bought one years ago and it had a lot of sterling and jewelry hidden in secret spaces. I took it to the hospital where I was working and an X-Ray tech took an X-ray and I found several more hidden spaces containing the good stuff. I mean I found four hidden spaces when I bought the piece and three more found in the X-Ray.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi Fern, impressive desk.
    Here is one photo full image, so people can see:

[​IMG]

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter, for the most part, who made these. Style and construction suggests teens, up to about WWII.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad. I figured out as much. But how about the 5 by 2.5 ft extending writing surface, is it common up there? I'd seen them on smaller bureaux a cylinder and the like, but never on such scale.

6. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It is heavy all right, but no such luck!

7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

IMG_20210310_155220937_HDR.jpg Today I gave the desk the once over, and I found what it says on the back panel is actually BAIRES, not that it matters that much. What could be a clue to age are the ball castors on which it stands (pic below). They seem to be marked 'Acme' in old German gothic letters. Has anyone seen these ball castors on desks before? Patent seems to date back to 1903, but they still make them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  8. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear New Member

Hi Fern77.
    I`ve never seen these ball castors. Maybe they were added to the desk later?

9. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Neither had I, and they certainly could have been. Did a quick internet search and found the patents (applied 1900). They are described as ball bearing casters for furniture, etc. Also found there is a company that makes repros.

10. Steve Saybull

Steve Saybull New Member

close up of key plate.jpg key.jpg roll top desk fron tphot.jpg Hi All , if anyone can assist re the manufacturer/ circa and and other details re this roll top desk. Thanks in advance ...Steve

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Steve. This is an older thread, about a different type of rolltop desk.
    It is best if you start your own thread, that way you'll get more eyes on it and a better chance of finding an answer.

judy likes this.
  12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

In the meantime, it looks late nineteen century. I hadn't seen a lockplate like that, but if anyone can identify it (and probably someone here can), it could narrow down the dates, etc. Interesting pulls, but the main drawer front/dummy doesn't look original. Great color, please don't strip it down!

13. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Since revisiting this thread, I thought I could post a couple of "after" pics. I haven't found the proper locks yet (locally), and there is a water stain to the writhing surface I decided not to clean any further, but that's a problem for my heirs! 3GIF-IMG_20210512_155056442.gif 3IMG_20210319_164657482-2.jpg 3GIF-IMG_20210512_155056442.gif 3IMG_20210319_164657482-2.jpg

14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wish my desk was that clean ,

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! Well actually I use a butcher block as a desk at the moment. I wish my butcher block were that clean though. I’m in the market for a great desk.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted