Help identifying silver-plated candlesticks and candle snuffer

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fenechsoler, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fenechsoler

fenechsoler New Member

Hello!

I have the following silver-plated candlesticks with candle snuffer and resting plate.

http://imgur.com/a/GFLLr

I've been told they are silver-plated, but I can't see any hallmarks anywhere. The top piece of the candlesticks lifts out for cleaning. If you need any further information/photos just let me know.

If anyone can give me any information on them or estimate how much they might be worth it'd be most appreciated.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup, most of us will need to see the photo's posted here as opening links is a problem for us old folks .

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your snuffer is NOT a snuffer it is a wick trimmer/cutter.
    greg

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Fenechsoler, welcome to the forums!

As Komo said photos should be posted actually in a message. Very few people will click a link, especially an unfamiliar one, to see pictures. The pics in a message should also be "Full Image." I have taken the liberty of cropping and resizing your huge pics for posting. Pics should be cropped and resized before posting. Large pics are very hard to see in such media as smart phones, iPads, etc... Resizing should consider the weight and dimensions of pictures. All your pics dimensional-wide are either 2000 px wide X 1333 px high or 1333 px wide X 2000 px high. Pics in message shouldn't be over 650px wide for easier viewing by all. Weight-wise your pics range from:

1,012 KB = 1,035,704 bytes to 418 KB = 427,513 bytes.

At the moment I can't help you on IDing these candlesticks and wick trimmer. They are silver plated copper. With the copper showing is called "blooming" or "bleeding." This can be a good indicator of age. The *candlesticks* may?? date back to the early 1800s, Georgian??? They could be considered old Sheffield plate?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_plate

Have you searched all the items for any signs of a mark? Do wait for others to chime in. They are lovely candlesticks with circular bases and acanthus leaves around the lower half of the tapered stems.

--- Susan

After editing now 450px wide X 685 high 62 KB
    candlesticks.jpg

Now 400px wide X 371px high 35 KB
    CandlestickCup.jpg

400px wide X 351px high 43 KB
    CandlestickBase.jpg

400px wide X 356px high 37KB
    CandlesticksBottom.jpg

CandlestickWickTrim-Combo.jpg

CandlestickTray-Combo.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Aquitaine, komokwa and afantiques like this.
  5. Ladybranch

BTW Greg, these can be called snuffers as well as wick trimmers. Originally the charred wick end was termed snuff, the charred part of a candle wick. The scissor was used to remove the char, snuff, trim the wick hence snuffer. The cones that came with candlesticks (chambersticks) are called extinguishers.

Those ball legs on the snuffer/wick trimmer could date it to the late 1700s to early 1800s also? Don't know about the tray. It may not be original to the snuffer. Usually snuffer trays from that era tended to be kidney shape, but of course not all of them.

Here are Georgian Old Sheffield plated candlesticks similar to these.
    http://www.bryandouglas.co.uk/silverware/candlesticks_large/j0134/j0134a.htm

--- Susan

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    Thanks for the explanation. Being raised in the "sticks" and always having people around me calling them wick trimmers and never heard them refer to them as snuffers. Even at my age I am still learning.
    greg

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. fenechsoler

fenechsoler New Member

Thanks for the help everyone, and thank you so much for the information and for reposting all of my photos here, Susan!

Unfortunately, I can't see any marks that could identify them and have looked closely at all of the objects. Is it unusual that they wouldn't have any?

The Georgian Old Sheffield plated candlesticks that you linked do look very similar! I will have a search based on some of the suggestions you've made and see if I can find anything else.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd be most interested to hear them :)

8. Ladybranch

You're welcome. Now, it is not unusual for old Sheffield plate *not* to have a maker's mark. Without any maker's mark it will be nearly impossible to impossible to ID the maker. Whatever you do don't ever replate old Sheffield plate. The copper "bleeding" through is a highlight that buyers want to see. The process of old Sheffield plating was a layering process, not the later electroplating that uses electrolysis. Here's a website that might help in IDing old Sheffield plate. Their are better websites out there, but I'm on my iPad and the other sites are bookmarked on our desktop.
    http://thefarmantiques.com/differentiate-silver-old-sheffield-plate-silverplate/

You might consider posting queries on one of the following silver dedicate sites.
    http://www.925-1000.com/forum/

If you are planning on selling, don't mention it on the following site for they won't help you.
    http://www.smpub.com/cgi/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?

--- Susan

Dukewright likes this.
  9. fenechsoler

fenechsoler New Member

Lots to look through! I'll try posting to both of those sites as well at some point.

Thanks again for your replies :)

Draft saved Draft deleted