Help Identifying Some Porcelain Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Coleton, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Coleton

Coleton New Member

So there are two different things I need some help identifying. I’m new to this but trying to learn and was wondering how old these are, what the value might be, etc.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

One looks like studio pottery and the other Korean celadon.

Coleton, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Coleton.
    The vase is a pretty Korean celadon porcelain vase, as Janet said. Celadon refers to the greenish colour. Looks like the neck was broken and glued back on, which influences the value greatly.

From what I can see of the bits of rim and base you show us of the brown one, it is a Southeast Asian storage vessel. And it looks like it has enough age to make it interesting, that looks like a nice old glaze in a beautiful honey colour.
    The material would be stoneware, not porcelain. Stoneware is fired at a very high temperature and is very durable.
    Western studio pottery draws much of its inspiration from East Asian traditions, which is why there can be some resemblance with studio pottery.

Could you post more photos of the storage vessel, also show us the entire thing so we have an idea what it actually looks like? And please click on 'full image' when you post photos, so everyone can see them.

@Silver Wolf , you may like the SE Asian storage vessel.:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    i need help and Coleton like this.
  4. Coleton

Coleton New Member

Hi! Thank you for the reply! It was very informative. Yes, the celadon vase was broken and glued back but I had bought it that way a year or two ago at a garage sale for a few dollars. I still liked the look of it so the break wasn’t a huge detractor for me personally.
    Like I said, I am new to the whole porcelain/stoneware world but I am trying to learn by learning the differences between authentic antique pieces and new reproductions as well as trying my best to memorize important makers marks and different artist styles but it has been a bit challenging when you have never seen or held the real deal (to my knowledge at least) to get a good reference to differentiate the two.

As for the storage vessel I posted a video of it on my Twitter which you can see here:
    https://twitter.com/coletonemr/status/1114083127566241792?s=21

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Thank you for the link, Coleton. I would still like to see photos, if possible.
    We generally like to study photos and discuss details which may be of interest. That is a way of reaching a more precise conclusion or consensus, which helps both you and others.

i need help and Coleton like this.
  6. Coleton

Coleton New Member

Alright, here are some more photos of it. I also picked up two more small pieces of porcelain today if you want to take a look at those.

Attached Files:

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

E9C3D7AB-A77B-4D92-95B2-7E2C55C42F8D.jpeg 5EA7FCF0-981D-4C9D-8C48-4AF1724CEDB6.jpeg 27F7941C-4477-4B4C-A231-8AAC3BFBDAAC.jpeg 76BD30EC-5D6F-46F6-8E40-574A1FBFD314.jpeg Clicking Full Images, helps us to see photos better. :)

judy, Any Jewelry and Coleton like this.
  8. Coleton

Coleton New Member

judy and i need help like this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The last one says Kutani.

judy, Coleton and i need help like this.
  10. Coleton

Coleton New Member

Okay great! Thank you. Now I know what I’m looking at, all that is left is to find out when approximately it was made.

judy likes this.
  11. Coleton

Coleton New Member

Let me know if the new photos help :)

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

See, that is where better photos help. It is not antique, but probably late 20th century. Still, a nice SE Asian storage vessel.
    :hilarious::)

The Kutani one is probably 19th century. It would help if you photograph it with the light on it though, not behind it.
    The bird and flower bowl also looks Japanese to me.

judy and Coleton like this.
  13. Coleton

Coleton New Member

Okay awesome! The sun has left me but here are some more pictures with light on them rather than behind. Kind of bummed the storage Vessel isn’t older but it is still a nice looking piece that I’ll put on a shelf. As for the Kutani and the small Japanese bowl, I bought both for around $4 each. A1950EDB-D3C1-4C2A-91A0-49DC3980982C.jpeg FFB87651-0071-41BA-ABBF-612908680180.jpeg 83588EAE-7C6C-4EB4-8A14-77EB2E11F032.jpeg 8F4F37C8-D8B4-49E1-A6D2-C84206D32FE8.jpeg 9FBE93FA-0B11-404F-BB87-B6414906EBF3.jpeg

judy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The Kutani one is cute, but not high quality and there is fritting around the rim. I like Kutani, I think it is charming, but it is generally not high quality. Fritting is damage, which lowers the value.
    You can see if you can find the mark of the other Japanese piece on this site:
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

i need help, Coleton and judy like this.
  15. Coleton

Coleton New Member

:pompous:
    Yes, not the best condition but neat. I did look on that website and couldn’t seem to find the exact mark. :bored: I guess I will have to do some more digging around. I’m going to go look around at some garage sales and antique malls in a couple hours and see if I find anything interesting. Waiting for the day when I find a nice Ming or early Qing Dynasty piece. One can dream. XD Fingers Crossed! lol. Thank you for all your help!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Good luck!
    It'll come.:) Maybe not Ming, but there is a lot of early Qing out there.
    Here is another Japanese marks site:
    http://litaxulingkelley.blogspot.com/p/japanese-porcelain-marks.html

Draft saved Draft deleted