Featured Help identifying strange 2 tier table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JanieB, Jan 8, 2017.

1. JanieB

JanieB Member

table open 1.JPG table down 2.JPG table down 1.JPG underside.JPG Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and hoping you can help me please! I have inherited a very curious table which is a 2 tier drop leaf. I've attached various photos which will show just how unusual this is!! Can anyone help with what this might have been used for and also an approximate date please? I'm not sure how many photos I should upload but I have more if needed. Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

KingofThings likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It would be handy for a buffet meal if you were short of space. Or possibly a shop display unit.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Please do as Davey requests with your photos. :)

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Shop display stand would be my best guess.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. JanieB

JanieB Member

Thank you all for your help and replies! The tables on google are really similar and are described as Victorian which feels right - annoying that their purpose isn't given. I think afantiques' suggestions about a shop display or buffet table sound really likely - the family ran pubs in England 100+ years ago so maybe it was used there?! Thanks again. :)

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This style of a narrow top gateleg table, not the doubling of it, is called a Sutherland style table. It was supposedly named after a Duchess of Sutherland back during the 1st half of the 1800 century. It was narrower than the usual gateleg tables. As to the dating of yours, I have no help. This style started during the early Victorian era and made up into the 20th century.
    http://www.internetantiquegazette.com/furniture/1481_sutherland_tables_drop_leaf

Examples:
    http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/antique-tables/antique-sutherland-tables/

--- Susan

lauragarnet and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Ladybranch

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I can see this used in two different scenarios.

Tea table with cakes and pies.
    Or as mentioned store display table.

I would find it very useful for display in a shop.
    If selling that is how I would market it.

10. Ladybranch

Here's another like yours that sold for £75 in November 2010. This one was called Victorian, and it had a label:

"Druce and Co upholsterers and cabinet makers BAKER STREET, Portman square."

4th Lot down, #145. Click the thumbnail for a larger view.
    http://www.batemans.com/sale_results.php?SaleNo=130&pageNum=8

--- Susan

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. JanieB

JanieB Member

Thank you all so much - especially Susan for identifying it as a Sutherland and for all of the comparisons you have posted. It's all very interesting and that ebay table is indeed identical. As far as I know it came from my great grandparents who lived in Marylebone, just half a mile from Baker Street, so I think Druce and Co would definitely be likely. As it's inherited I don't want to sell it, but was just fascinated at what such a strange piece of furniture could possibly be! I have to say this is a great forum - thank you all again for your help.

NorgeBluEyes, lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first impulse was "silent butler". Americans had multi-tiered tables made to hold food for parties and the like; some of them collapsed down when not in use. This one may have been for tea.

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. JanieB

JanieB Member

That sounds like a perfect description of it - thanks. I also inherited quite a number of Victorian cake stands and tea sets - I guess they went with the table. Thanks again for everyone's input ... mystery solved!

komokwa likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My son looked at the photo and said, "Serving table." :)

Draft saved Draft deleted