Help identifying these (Navajo?) weavings

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by research, Oct 6, 2023.

1. research

research Member

I bought these a while back and was told they were Navajo. I am trying to learn more about these types of textiles and hoping someone here knows what they are.

They both measure roughly 22x21". They are heavier and appear to be wool but I'm not sure.

Would appreciate any expertise on what they are and any information on what they might be worth. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    wlwhittier likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You might want to copy and save this for reference for a while....it helps when you're new!!!:rolleyes:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

judy likes this.
  3. research

research Member

Thanks. The images I have in this post are embedded linked images, not uploaded to this site.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

There have been a number of discussions on this forum about the distinguishing characteristics of Navajo weavings. You can search (using the search box in the top right corner) in both "Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing" and "Tribal Art" for "Navajo Rugs" to look at previous threads and examples. You might want to narrow the search to posts by members Taupo and 2manybooks.

In the meantime, it looks like the first weaving you show was correctly identified as Navajo, and the second is likely as well. Both are probably a type referred to as "Gallup throws" - small samplers made for sale along the railroad lines. I hesitate slightly about the second one, just because the end finish on one end, with the cut and knotted warps, is not characteristic of larger Navajo weavings. But these throws were made quickly, often using less quality materials as well, and I suspect were made using a single warp setup for more than one textile.

This website has a brief discussion of Gallup throws and some good examples -

https://www.medicinemangallery.com/...-blankets-for-sale/gallup-throws-and-samplers

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome/Welcome Back Research-Sounds like you might've gotten lucky w/ those rugs,much of the Navajo that shows up here aint-well done !

research likes this.
  6. research

research Member

Thank you! I've read through quite a few of the Navajo identification posts and it honestly gets a little confusing. Seemed like maybe it would be easier for an expert to look at good quality photos as I try to learn haha.

These seem like a "set" (exact same size, material etc) but I suppose one could be different.

Is there any way to date these or figure out what specific region they might be from?

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

It can certainly be confusing.

These look authentic Navajo, Gallup throws, made for sale to tourists, not finely made but have age and therefore some value, 1930's - 1950's.

As for the questions you asked in your other thread about displaying them, I think the advice 2manybooks offered there is appropriate-- don't seal them in, it's ok to sew a backing onto them as per her recommendations, and you are not going to hurt them long term.

You can google vintage Gallup throws for images of similars.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does require a familiarity with some textile terminology. Your first little throw, the gray and red one, is a good example of typical Navajo construction. Here are a few diagrams that might be helpful. The "warp" is the set of yarns stretched on the upright loom. The "weft" are the yarns woven back and forth between the warp.
    Gallup throw labeled.jpg

Gallup throw detail labelled.jpg

9. research

research Member

Great, thank you!

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  10. research

research Member

Thank you! Very helpful again. I really appreciate it

Draft saved Draft deleted