Help Identifying This Antique Gadget

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rabbitfootantiques, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Rabbitfootantiques

Rabbitfootantiques New Member

Hello Folks:
    I just found this site and must say that it is very nice. I was hoping that someone may know what this object is or was used for. I've been in the antiques business for several years and have never seen anything like it. The piece appears to have been made in the mid to late 19th Century. It has a lead egg at the top that looks like it may be some type of counterweight yet it has a screw/gear system. I'm really at a loss. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    If you go back into your post and click edit and then 'Full image' by the photos they will appear full size rather than thumbnails :)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How big? What parts move & how do they move? Have had a suggestion over my shoulder that it is a gas-fed lamp that swings back & forth. Right now, if this is at all correct, it is sitting on the face that would be forward. The part that the gear/ratchet meshes with would be inside the housing for this unit. Not sure if any of that is right; does it make at sense from what you observe on your end? Welcome, Rabbitfoot. We do prefer photos full size. :)

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

28A78A36-86C3-46BF-A9BF-8CE400EB3BE0.jpeg 236D4F16-8B95-400C-9A37-BE4419FF437C.jpeg 5407D17C-AF3E-4A20-918F-8474EF464215.jpeg E778F937-1437-481E-997E-0A0733BCBA74.jpeg FD9C4A51-7E30-4795-807C-2B95AAFA8207.jpeg Welcome Rabbitfoot! :)

moreotherstuff and sabre123 like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

The swinging back-and-forth could produce a flashing action so maybe it’s some kind of railroad signal? Can you find a patent number anywhere on it?

6. Bronwen

See in my reply I neglected to convey the whole over-the-shoulder suggestion, which was that it is an oscillating light for a train. So we're on the same track. :D

7. Joe in PA

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Joe in PA

Your analysis was great, that’s what I thought you were suggesting!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Think though, since it would swing between light & dark, not play light side to side, that you are correct & it is a signal rather than illumination.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

You know how when you have something so clear in your head you forget to say it. Glad it gave you the tip off & you refined the idea. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Rabbitfootantiques

Rabbitfootantiques New Member

Hello All:
    Thanks for the suggestions. It stands about 14" high. I too thought it was something that was gimballed in order to allow it to swing but the gearing does not allow it to freely swing. I decided to do a bit more experimenting and discovered that the metal piece to the right could be popped out to disable the gearing and allow the piece to swing. So, as far as I can see, the gearing is there in case the piece needs to be used at a constant angle or can be disabled if the piece needs to swing. Another interesting bit that I left out was that it has 3 wooden rollers on the base that allow the piece to be pivoted. I am beginning to think that this was made for a ship. Very cool.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted