Featured Help identifying this apothecary/laboratory balance

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Graveymaster, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Graveymaster

Graveymaster New Member

Hi everyone. Happy to be a member of the forum!

I bought this balance on ebay a few years ago, just because I thought it was beautiful and cool. The seller described it as a late 1890s balance, made of Honduran mahogany and brass.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have always wondered whether it was made for an apothecary (pharmacist) or a laboratory. Does anybody know?

2. After you put things on each side of the balance, you press the little lever at the bottom of the brass post, and it lifts the pans. But no matter how perfectly I try to get things to balance evenly on each side, one side of the balance always drops down. In other words, I cannot get the pans to balance perfectly in mid-air. Is that how this is supposed to operate? Or are the pans supposed to balance perfectly in mid-air?

I would appreciate any and all information about this piece!!

--Graveymaster tossme.jpg

AJefferson, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That set up looks like an older piece from India. I have several older pieces from around 1860-1880 By older piece I think yours is a 1950s/60s piece. Your's will never balance evenly empty. The weight of the brass stem and glass plate will never be the same as the chains and brass plate of the other side. I am not a expert on these things but something just does not appear to be right to me.
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The pans do not appear to match. I have had a few of these and the pans matched and would balance empty. Simple answer is to add a few grams of modelling clay to the light pan.
    I'd say they could be used anywhere you want fairly accurate weight, but they are not good enough for even schoolroom lab work.

Afterthought, a moneychanger when money was gold and silver, would be most likely to find these useful. The fact that it can be dismantled and packed in the box adds to this theory, market shroffs would be peripatetic.

4. i need help

i need help Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Graveymaster! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Graveymaster !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AF,
    The tall stem is larger than the box. I think the weights just go in the box.????
    greg

i need help likes this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The ones I have had fitted in, if diagonally. If it is not possible this may indicate a later and purely decorative item.

gregsglass, i need help and Fid like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Graveymaster. Nice item to start with.

i need help likes this.
  9. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Hi Graveymaster, IMHO I think they are right, 1840-1860 apothecary scales, you put the weight on the brass pan and then press the lever and add the powder to the glass side, then lower the pans to safely remove the powder after weighing it, they were never meant to be laboratory scales, the weights aren't right, far to heavy for those scales. The fact they pack away just means they are Travelling Apothecary Scales, there are many examples online, yours are the same as them. The look and age of the mahogany just can't be faked, as to "Honduran mahogany" I don't think it really makes much difference, if it was Cuban (very dark) it would be more sort after.

Draft saved Draft deleted