Help identifying this Paper Mache Santa Ornament Made in Taiwain republic of China

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by EVIE55, Dec 15, 2019.

1. EVIE55

EVIE55 New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this Santa ornament? Trying to decide if I should keep or sell. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It can be dated by the "Made in Taiwan Republic of China" sticker. Post-World War II, of course, but I don't know exact dates. Someone else may well.

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Perhaps this information may help. I see some Taiwan made things and use this statement from Coxsackie Antique Center as a way of evaluating things.

"The island of Taiwan, however, became a major source for gee-gaws during the 1960s until it also moved on to pricier electronic items. Taiwanese production from this era is marked "made in Republic of China" or "made in China (R.O.C.)" to distinguish from "Red" China. In the mid 70s, trade gradually resumed with the mainland and their production is marked "Made in the People's Republic of China." In 1978, the United States fully normalized relations with mainland China and their production again became "made in China" while R.O.C. production came to be labeled "made in Taiwan."

There are other sources that talk about labels.

4. EVIE55

EVIE55 New Member

Thank you both for your insight! I appreciate it!

Draft saved Draft deleted