Help identifying this Rose Quartz bird?

Discussion in 'Art' started by RoseBird, Jan 17, 2021.

1. RoseBird

RoseBird New Member

Hello! First topic alert :shame:

I purchased this carved rose quartz bird at an indoor market for £5 a few years back. From what I can gather, it was made by Alexandre Costa and is from Brazil (Brazilian Bird Sculpture at NOVICA) but other than that I know nothing about it. It's obviously missing it's base (the others seem to be on geodes or other crystals).

I'm just looking for any more info anyone may be able to give. I think it's beautuiful :shame:

[​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hello, RoseBird! Would you share with us how you identified the maker?

Debora

3. RoseBird

RoseBird New Member

Hi Debora :) I just typed rose quartz bird into Google and a similar one came up on the Unicef marketplace, with the creator's details :)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

But it's unmarked? If so, I think you'll get no further than what you've already identified: semi-precious stone bird sculpture, likely from Brazil and likely missing its stone (possibly geode) base.

Debora

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. RoseBird

RoseBird New Member

Thanks Debora :)

Debora likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very cute, and welcome RoseBird.

There are artists all over the world who carve birds from semi-precious stones, the German town of Idar Oberstein is famous for its exquisite carvings. And then there is China of course.
    But yours does look like it is a Brazilian souvenir. It was made by a craftsperson rather than an artist, and there are many Brazilian bird carvers. Without a signature it will be impossible to find the carver of this cutie.
    I don't think knowing the craftsperson isn't that important, I don't want to put the birdie down, but it is a generic type. A very nice generic type though.
    Some of those Brazilian birds have silver feet, so maybe have them tested?

You can get someone who works with semi-precious stones to find you a nice piece of amethyst and drill holes in it for a new base. It will look as new and have more value.

RoseBird and i need help like this.
  7. RoseBird

RoseBird New Member

That's brilliant, thank you Any Jewelry :D x

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted