Featured Help identifying this set, the saucer has a handle.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SandyPearl, Oct 20, 2022.

1. SandyPearl

SandyPearl Member

Picked this up in an estate sale last weekend. I’ve never seen a saucer with a handle before. The cup has a rounded spout. Does anyone know what this is called. Google lens gives me nothing. The piece is also marked Cauldon England in black and 5385 in red. Any help with date or pattern would also be fantastic.
    7FB38E45-752B-4CA6-8800-EE25C3F77F27.jpeg FE97275E-73A2-46D4-A89A-730A07BB0B53.jpeg

Lark, judy, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I'm going to use me imagination about this one. I think it's a sort of feeding cup. The cup has a shallow spout opposite its handle. The handle on the saucer would make it easier to hold.

Very pretty.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought the same.
    Yes it is. A delicate charm, yet functional.

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like an accident waiting to happen. All the invalid cups I've seen have teapot-like spouts.

bercrystal, judy and SandyPearl like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What's the capacity of it? 5385 is the pattern number, the other is a piecework decorator's mark.

judy likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The spout looks too wide to be a feeding cup. It could possibly be some type of sauce cup and saucer. I would bet that it has a specific use, but I can't think of what it is, other than what I just stated. But then, invalid feeders are for broth, maybe this was meant for some other type of nourishment. Something thick that wouldn't spill down the front of your shirt.

8. Ownedbybear

That's why I asked about capacity. It looks like bread sauce or redcurrant jelly, say, to me. Handle so you can pass it to the next person along.

SandyPearl and Bakersgma like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

OBB, does it bother you that the handle is so flat to the surface? I thought that it might be a little awkward to pick up, but for passing it would be fine - one person holds the handle and the next grabs the saucer, or vice versa.

SandyPearl and Lark like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

From your picture of the bottom I'm assuming the saucer is not attached to the cup part. Were they attached it would be so much more stable for passing.

I did wonder if they actually go together, certainly part of the same service, but a cup like that would surely need some sort of saucer. I was trying to imagine something that might do with a wide pouring "spout". Melted butter? Hollandaise?

SandyPearl likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

No, the flatness doesn't worry me. As you say, perfect for passing along.

SandyPearl likes this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Does appear to be some sort of small sauce boat. Perhaps was part of a small luncheon set? I, for one, would love to serve custard out of it!

SandyPearl, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I think the sauce boat and passing handle is the ticket. I tried visualizing holding it for an invalid feeding and it seemed the saucer handle would be awkward to hold while feeding someone but i could see its advantage in a "passing" aid.

SandyPearl likes this.
  14. SandyPearl

SandyPearl Member

It holds about 6 ounces.

15. Ownedbybear

I'd go with melted butter or such in that case.

SandyPearl and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted