Featured Help identifying this Wedgwood cup & saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Athena, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

I've never tried with Wedgwood, but have received gracious, helpful replies when sending an inquiry to some other small museums. You might check for contact info. They're in the business of preserving the Wedgwood legacy & getting correct information out. So are you.

Sandra, Athena and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Athena

Athena Member

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Athena

Athena Member

I do not see it in their collection. Around the 20s there were similar colorways, but not similar patterns. On a side note, I have another set which I think is a Millicent Taplin design. I did see a similar item to that set.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Of the pieces I looked at that were the same shape, I saw a variety of marks that seemed to trend toward being more informative, additions of 'Bone China' or the name of the pattern. Some without the vase. My sense is that yours is an earlier piece.

Yours is so eye-catching & certainly not commonplace.

Write them!

http://www.wedgwoodmuseum.org.uk/aboutus/enquiries-and-identifications

Athena, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Athena

Athena Member

I sent an email :) Hopefully I'll hear back. I'll update either way. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

7. Athena

Athena Member

I received a response!

-----

Dear Athena,

Many thanks for your email. The pattern W1444 is a version of the Jewel pattern. The W means that it was a bone china coffee set, and the number, meant that it was the 1444th to be entered into that range of pattern books.

It was first manufactured in 1927.

Best wishes,

Lucy

The Wedgwood Museum

-----

8. Bronwen

So glad you got an answer. It means we all got an answer. Thanks for posting. :happy:

dgbjwc, Athena and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted