Featured Help identifying this wingback/throne/Louis XV esque chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Gil, May 1, 2024.

1. Gil

Gil New Member

Hello all!
    happy to have foud this forum and hoping I can learn more about furniture.

I recently was at a jazz bar and sat in a completely velvet wingback chair and fell in love.

I decided I wanted one for a reading nook or something of the sort.
    I know nothing about chair styles, eras, or decor type but recently found this chair on market place, liked it aesthetically and bought it. Is the head more indicative if a queens crown? Is this more inclined as a woman's chair?

I had been shopping around online and was mostly coming across velvet wingback chairs with screw on feet and and wasnt too sure about their value or how to value their quality. Are screw on feet generally lower quality chairs or are there varying factors to making that assessment?

Can anyone describe this chair with regard to quality, styling and value? Also looking to see if I overpaid or got a deal, thanks in advance!

20240501_165635.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi there.
    We don’t know what you paid, so it’s hard to say whether you got a deal or not.
    Traditionally, armchairs specifically for women are extremely rare and are characterized by a slightly smaller size and scale. I have seen only 2 women’s armchairs as a part of a full mid-19th Century parlor set in 15 years of looking. My supposition is that women either sat on sofas or sat on armless side chairs to accommodate their skirts.
    A chair with screw-on legs is simply a newer chair, because that’s how they’re made these days. The value is basically what you pay for it.
    Your chair is inspired by the Rococo Revival movement of the 1850s and 60s, but it is not an antique chair. I’m glad it’s comfortable. The value is what you paid for it.
    If you want to see the rosewood chairs and parlor sets that inspired your chair, go to eBay and type in Meeks or Belter. These chairs represent the pinnacle of rosewood chair construction and carving. Even now, in the brown furniture depression, a Belter Tuthill King pattern armchair might bring $10,000.00. The quality is unparalleled.
    Enjoy your chair!

3. Gil

Gil New Member

Thank you for your reply!

The reason I asked about the "womans" chair was because of the "crown" like styling on the head... had no other premise for my inquiry.

Under the frame of this chair it says "Made in Canada" I paid $60 for it on Market place.

What would I call this chair style, a wingback a Meeks or Belter armchair?

4. Ghopper1924

Ok, thanks for the follow-up information.

$60 is a good price, especially since you are so happy with it.

The woodwork at the top of the chair is called a crest. Parlor chairs of the 19th Century had them as a unifying stylistic feature between armchairs, side chairs and sofas. They had nothing to do with the gender of the chair’s intended occupant.

I would call this a Rococo Revival-inspired armchair. It is not actually Rococo Revival. I know this is a bit of a mouthful, but it’s accurate. This is not a wingback chair.

5. Gil

Gil New Member

Is there anyway to identify the brand or year this chair was made without tags? Is this considered a cheap replica? Sorry Im just trying to understand the chair world so I can be better equipped in my accent/armchair shopping searches. Thanks for all the help!

6. Ghopper1924

It's not going to be easy to identify a brand without a tag or label unless you spend a lot of time on the internet looking for similar chairs. It's not a cheap replica per se, just an attempt to cash in on the Victorian craze of the 1980s and 90s. Since Victorian furniture is pretty much out of fashion at the moment, it's likely that your chair was made in the late 20th Century.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

reported ........stupid 19 year old thinks we fall for this crap...

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Ghopper1924

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I reported a newbie trying to do business by sending us to his site......

fret not....;):happy::happy:

Bakersgma and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted