Help identifying various pottery marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michelle Davies, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Michelle Davies

Michelle Davies New Member

Hi,

I've come across a few lovely pottery items in a local shop in West Sussex where I live.
    I wondered if anyone could please help me to identify markings where appropriate and whether they are the genuine article or a replica?
    Images 1-4: cup set with blue possible Chinese markings and individual cup with red Chinese markings.
    Images 5-6: plate with Delft markings.
    Images 7-8: round trinket box with Wedgwood markings.
    chinese blue.jpg chinese blue marking.jpg chinese red 2.jpg chinese red marking.jpg delft 1a.jpg delft marking.jpg wedgwood.jpg wedgwood marking.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Your Delft mark might be Royal Goedewaagen. These examples are from the book Discovering Dutch Delftware by Van Hook.

upload_2023-8-22_7-17-55.png

Attached Files:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Delfts plate is Dutch, by Royal Goedewaagen.
    Goedewaagen was never actually based in Delft, they started out in 17th century Gouda, and moved to Nieuw-Buinen (province of Drenthe) in the 20th century.
    The brand name 'Royal Goedewaagen' dates from 2007, so it is a recent plate.

4. Any Jewelry

Sniped by SIS, and yes, it is Royal Goedewaagen.;)

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotheborg.com..........for asian marks..........check it out !

6. Michelle Davies

Thanks for your help.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Michelle Davies

Thanks for this really helpful. Looks most similar to image (a).

8. Any Jewelry

Except on yours the scales mark is separate, which is how I've usually seen it. 'Waagen' is old Dutch for scales.
    Goedewaagen is an old surname, it either means good (reliable) scales or God's scales (weighing right and wrong).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  9. Michelle Davies

Maybe the red and blue markings could be Japanese?

10. Any Jewelry

Very likely, but both that and the Chinese one are fairly recent pieces.

Draft saved Draft deleted