Featured Help Identifying Watercolor Scene

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, Nov 5, 2022.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this fascinating late 19th century watercolor from an auction house in the UK. According to my online research, it may have been painted by Elda Cenni, daughter of Quinto Cenni. Apparently, she worked for the House of Savoy as a successful miniature watercolorist. Approximately 52cm x 39cm.

Are you familiar with the scene? Could it be a copy of an older work? While I think the execution is wonderful, I'm intrigued by the vacant expression on the woman's face.

Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For what reason are you dating it to the late 19th century?

Debora

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    techbiker likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The work of this E. Cenni, the illustrator of this 1928 postcard?

Debora

s-l500.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    techbiker likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Signature looks right.

Debora

872_001.jpg

techbiker likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

techbiker likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She seems to have produced these costume pieces later in her career. I would think yours dates to the 1930s.

Debora

techbiker likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. techbiker

The auction house believes it to be from the late 19th century. So one of her earlier works (perhaps around the turn of the century?).

Does the scene look original?

Thank you for all of the help!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Why is the auction house attributing it to that date?

Debora

10. techbiker

I suspect they considered the wood backer board which is typical for turn-of-the-century pieces. Perhaps the vendor also provided some provenance. IMO can't be pre-1890 especially since wire nails were used.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If the seller provided provenance wouldn't the auction house have passed it on to you as the new owner? Just curious :)

12. techbiker

In my experience usually not, except in unusual situations where the provenance is iron-clad. Sometimes vendors are deceased and can no longer be contacted. You can ask the auction house for more info, however no guarantee there.

This is just my experience with some auction houses in the UK. YMMV, especially depending on the country.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Wow, I am surprised! But then I have not bought from auction houses much, and nothing very valuable.

If I ever want to buy an item from an auction house they says is from a certain period I will make sure to ask how they know and what documentation they have if any :)

techbiker likes this.
  14. techbiker

I think it probably depends on the auction house. I usually attend auctions at smaller auction houses with fewer staff on site. If a piece is valued over $100 or so and doesn't have much detail, I usually ask! I did ask for a condition report on this piece.

15. techbiker

Update here 12/19/22:

Just finished dry cleaning the watercolor surface. Eraser crumbs lifted up a good deal of brown/grey gunk. Please pardon the poor photo/lighting.
    [​IMG]

I carefully scraped off most of the acidic matboard from the verso. Used a #5 pallet knife.
    [​IMG]

The watercolor paper is still thoroughly glued to a thin backer paper. Rather than risk damaging the watercolor by scraping at the mounting paper, I will take a win here and move on.

The written number "12" is visible at the bottom of the watercolor verso. Perhaps by the artist. Seen here through the front.
    [​IMG]

"P.M. Fabriano" watermark:
    [​IMG]

Do you think that "12" stands for the year or a number in a series? Thanks a bunch!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted