Help IDing a library table, please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by anise, Jul 30, 2016.

1. anise

anise New Member

Hello! I'm just starting to dip my toe into the world of vintage furniture and am a little over my head so I am hoping someone can help. :)

I got this oak library table from Craigslist for free, with the plan to sand it down and refinish it. However, as I got looking at the construction, I realized that this is a bit older than I originally thought and rather well constructed. I know it's not an antique (dovetails are machine-made), but just in case, I thought I'd check with people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do to make sure I'm not going to devalue this by refinishing.

I looked for a manufacturing label but didn't find one. The desk top and lower shelf are both stenciled with 544 (pattern number I'm guessing?) and the frame is branded with 51. I've included photos of these below.

I appreciate any help you can give!

librarydesk-front.jpg librarydesk-dovetails.jpg librarydesk-bottom.jpg librarydesk-under.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Strip away make yourself happy. I see nothing that should stand in your way. Nice oak construction.
    greg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

American Oak - Probably early 1900s - 20s.

American Oak furniture has gone down in value. During the time it was being collected 1970s - what 2000. Just about all of it was being refinished.

Adding:
    A lot of the furniture was originally sold through Sears, Montgomery Wards., etc
    Good solid furniture at modest price.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could be just barely antique (100 years old). Was made to be KD so might have been a mail order piece. Really doesn't matter who made it.

I doubt it need sanding. Looks like all but the shelf has been refinished once before. Wouldn't take much to strip or even just touch up to get it looking a lot better. Good find for free!

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Nice table , youd pay big money for that quality in this world of fiberboard we live in . And the price cant be beat !

6. anise

anise New Member

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate knowing a bit more about the table. It was pretty rickety when I picked it up, but I just hand tightened the screws and it's super solid now. Much nicer than what I was expecting from something taken to the curb!

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The pressed steel hardware where legs attach makes it look post-WWII to me, but I'm not a furniture person.

Draft saved Draft deleted