Featured Help in identifying lampshade

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Maggie Kirby, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Maggie Kirby

Maggie Kirby New Member

Hi everyone,
    I’m wondering if anyone may be able to identify the maker of this hanging lampshade. I have very little info on it, it’s been in the family for over 100 years. It was shipped via train from New York to Wisconsin in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Thanks in advance. Maggie
    https://imgur.com/a/hvYka4a

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Maggie and welcome to the forum!

Some people won't click an imgur page link. It would be better to post the pics directly to this thread to get more eyes on your lampshade. I'll put one up for you:

[​IMG]

3. Maggie Kirby

Maggie Kirby New Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks so much for that. I think I got the photos added to the original post. Appreciate your help!

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those upturned leaves on the top remind me of much later designed shades..

nice shade though..

Figtree3, Maggie Kirby and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Unless it is marked with the manufacturer's name, it will be very hard to find out who made it. Many glass shops made nice stained glass. The best you can hope for is a comparable shade and hope the seller has some info about it. The following link to a sold shade has similar attributes to yours. They believe it to be about 1910 in age.
    https://www.harpgallery.com/shop/item35328.html
    I have a very nice pictorial stained glass window, the maker name is lost history.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, Maggie Kirby and TallCakes like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very likely from the 1970s or '80s. There were thousands of this type of lamp coming out of Korea, and a strong hobby market as well.

bluumz, johnnycb09 and Maggie Kirby like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Based on the glass, think this one is older. I am thinking post-war, into the 50s. I know this does not fit with what the Op's family history says but we know that is sometimes unreliable. Were it not for the crown, I could buy this being even older. Would be happy to find it is older and to be proven wrong.

Also, the ceiling cap is consistent with a 50s or later time-frame, though it may not be original to the shade. That chain should probably be a bit more robust for this heavy shade. I see an accident waiting to happen here.

9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Maggie Kirby like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Similar (but with different crown) from etsy.com

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 8.03.27 AM.png

Figtree3 and Maggie Kirby like this.
  11. Maggie Kirby

Maggie Kirby New Member

Thank you to everyone for the insight! I’m relaying these findings back to my mom. It’s funny how memories can change over time. I think it’s definitively possible that it isn’t nearly as old as they thought.

Figtree3, sabre123, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Maggie Kirby ! I also was thinking this shade was later than the early 20th century. Some of the more expert members here have written on that already. I do like it!

Maggie Kirby likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted