help in terminology

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by TT Antique, Mar 25, 2021.

1. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

Hi All

What is the right term for a person who moves around in search of interesting antique and vintage items of general nature (including books, arts, etc )? I came across "antique picker" before but what about terms like "antique scout", and "antique sleuth"? or are there other appropriate terms?

Thanks in advance !

TTA

judy and antidiem like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was called a"dumpster diver" or for you English a "skip diver".
    greg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard the "scout" or "sleuth" term. Maybe it's more used on the other side of the pond?

pearlsnblume, judy and antidiem like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not exactly the word you want but... Jonathan Gash in his mystery series about British antique dealer Lovejoy uses the word "divvie" as someone -- to quote wikipedia.org -- with an almost supernatural talent for recognizing exceptional items as well as for distinguishing fakes or forgeries from genuine antiques.

Debora

pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I called myself, simply, "a collector"

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

In the used book trade, a "scout" usually refers to someone who seeks out decent books and sells them to an established dealer/shop owner. They act as wholesalers, rather than doing a lot of direct selling themselves. A scout may have a relatively exclusive relationship with a dealer (if he/she treats the scout well enough), or may be a free agent.

This type of arrangement is becoming less common with the death of brick and mortar used book stores. With the internet, it is easier for former scouts to simply sell online for themselves, and with the decline in prices it is less feasible for the remaining shops to pay scouts well enough for their efforts.

pearlsnblume, Potteryplease and judy like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I used to scout for Peter at Serendipity books in Berkeley, California in the late 80's/early 90's

pearlsnblume, Potteryplease and judy like this.
  8. TT Antique

thanks all with the replies...

-the problem with the "book scout" term is that it has also the other definition whereby " a book in one language or market is brought to the attention of a publisher in another language or market..from wiki" hence it may create a confusion though if the general term "antique scout" (if there is such a term) may not have that misunderstanding..

--"dumpster diving" is a particular activity of looking for worthwhile antiques near dumpsters hence is not necessarily representative of someone who may go to flea markets, thrift stores etc looking for treasures..

--I loved the Lovejoy British films ..infact i was recently watching it,,By the way there is a rumor that it may be resurrected again soon remodeled to fit the 21st century audience..

There must be a a term coined for such activity ..I know in the US "antique Picker" is used as there is a reality TV series also with that name..but would prefer "scout" than "picker" though "scout" creates confusion when it comes to books...
    Why dont we create a brand new term ourselves ? :)

TTA

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

A stuff miner.

pearlsnblume and TT Antique like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

11. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Antiquer, picker, collector, dealer (if you buy and sell)...

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

Oh come on they are called "Pickers"

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

2nd Hand Seeker .....:)

but....for vintage clothing...... a Seer Sucker Seeker !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::wideyed::wideyed:;)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. TT Antique

thanks again for all the suggestions...combining terms can also be one way..
    examples

• Rare and Collectible Antique/Vintage items Searcher(Picker)
    • Rare and Collectible Antique/Vintage items Scout (Searcher)
    • Rare and Collectible Antique items Picker (Searcher)
    • Rare and Collectible Antique items Scout (Picker)

We can also use the term "researcher" instead as some kind of research also accompanies the activity. In this case it can stand on its own

• Rare and Collectible Antique/Vintage items Researcher

TTA

17. 2manybooks

What is the purpose of this attempt to coin a new term? Are you looking for a title to put on business cards?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. TT Antique

2 manybooks...:) having the right terms is always good as words are powerful in defining your scope and activity...

just to add to the list,,I have also came across the term "sourcing" to refer to the case where interior decorators get their antique and vintage items. In situations where one works with interior decorators to search and locate their desired items for their project, the term "sourcing "may also be an option. It is sometimes worthwhile to search and source antique items to interior decorators especially the high end interior decorators. Hence in such scenario the following could be considered

• Rare and Collectible Antique/Vintage items Search and Sourcing
    • Rare and Collectible Antique/Vintage items Research and Sourcing
    But I am open to other alternatives

TTA

19. 2manybooks

Nice of you to be "open to other alternatives". Perhaps if you were more open about your goal we could be more helpful. In what context are you looking to use these terms? Are you seeking a single word title for yourself? Are you trying to describe your activities to other people? Are you writing a glossary?

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  20. TT Antique

2manybooks..my enquiry is general in nature,,i just wanted to frame and put the activity in words,,, i find it helpful for thinking and planning...wordings are important

TTA

Draft saved Draft deleted