Featured Help me date my antique sofa?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DanaH, Nov 10, 2023.

1. DanaH

DanaH New Member

Hi there. New to the forum after picking up this beautiful old sofa for just $100 at a local thrift store. I’d love some help determining its age so that I can get a little closer to an estimated value.

Based on my limited knowledge, I strongly suspect the sofa was reupholstered at some point. The wood working seems much older than the textiles. I can tell through the upholstery that it has a solid wooden frame, although there is some joining along the bottom as you can see from the photos.

Any guesses about style or era? I welcome value estimates, too!

Thanks in advance :)

judy, pearlsnblume, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think terribly old. The distressing of the wood looks intentional. The color shading of the stain is also very telling. I think no older than the 80s and may be even newer.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Upholstery certainly looks late 1970s into the 1980s.

Debora

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am going to make a guess that the couch may be from Ethan Allen as a relative of mine had a very similar piece and that was in the 70's.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree with above and, IMHO, value is in line with what you paid.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

See this listed on FB marketplace in my area for $400.00 as an antique. Think that is ambitious but who knows? In the greater scheme of things, it is not expensive compared to new. However, we all know how notoriously cheap buyers are on the secondary market. I don't think the pink fabric helps much and calling it antique is disingenuous. Good luck in your endeavor.

Draft saved Draft deleted