Featured Help me! on a marble sculpture

Discussion in 'Art' started by jordanup2, Jul 6, 2019.

1. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

Good evening, I'm Jordan from Argentina, excuse me if this is the wrong section to ask my questions.
    I have a marble sculpture (I'm really not sure if it's marble) and I'd like you to help me know, with what people you should speak to know its monetary value. As well as its antiquity, that is done among other things. (Detail: It has no signature).
    I speak Spanish, they know how to excuse my bad English and for that reason I need you to help me know what these people are called who are dedicated to know about these sculptures or in which websites or forums I can find them. If anyone knows the value, please tell me.
    Thank you

Insert photos of the sculpture

20190706_183310-1512x2016.jpg

20190706_183421-1512x2016.jpg

20190705_215417-1512x2016.jpg

20190706_183338-1512x2016.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Marzena, Figtree3, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, jordanup2. Are the areas of brown on the head & face part of the stone or can they be removed? What are the dimensions? Does she have small pearls in the band in her hair? Is it possible to have a photo of the underside? Also several photos with details, e.g., curls of hair?

upload_2019-7-6_23-5-51.png

3. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

[QUOTE = "Bronwen, post: 745640, miembro: 5833"] Bienvenido, jordanup2. ¿Las áreas de color marrón en la cabeza y la cara son parte de la piedra o pueden eliminarse? Cuáles son las dimensiones? ¿Tiene pequeñas perlas en la banda en el pelo? ¿Es posible tener una foto de la parte inferior? También varias fotos con detalles, por ejemplo, rizos de pelo?

[ATTACH = full] 189361 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]

Hello, thanks for answering

Approximate weight: 66-88 lb
    Height with base: 18” inches = 47 cm
    Height without base: 16” inches = 41 cm
    Base: 17” x 9” inches = 44 cm x 23 cm

The brown areas on the head and face are part of the stone or can they be removed? They are spots. Nose how to eliminate them.

What are the dimensions? Do you have little pearls on the band in your hair? Do not

Is it possible to have a picture of the bottom? Also several photos with details, for example, hair curls? Then I answer this question

judy, Christmasjoy and Jaena like this.
  4. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

stunning !! ghostly

doesnt the necklace look art nouveau ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    jordanup2, Fid and judy like this.
  6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Is it my imagination or are there two different types of marble (white and other) joined together??

7. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

[QUOTE = "Misceláneo, post: 746591, miembro: 1331"] ¿Es mi imaginación o hay dos tipos diferentes de mármol (blanco y otro) unidos? [/ QUOTE]
    Yes, they are 2 types of marble joined.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

She looks like alabaster - possibly Italian.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jordan, your marble sculpture is called a "bust" because it depicts just the head and shoulders of the human figure. Your piece is likely from the late-1800s Renaissance Revival period. This type of bust was made in marble, alabaster and chalkware (plaster.) Typically, they came from Italy. Yours appears to have some damage which will effect value.

Debora

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

this type of bust is often found in the art nouveau era as part of the neogothic department. Mougin and others made figurines in this medieval style.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

mougfig1 (1024x932).jpg
    mougfig2 (957x1024).jpg
    mougfig3 (935x1024).jpg

12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

13. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Jordanup2!!! Your bust looks lovely!!!! Aside from the chip out of her cap on the left looking at her (which looks like it's been smoothed), she also looks like she should have more jewels in her head band!!!! Still, very nice!!

ZZZZZZ BONNET HEADBAND.jpg

15. Jivvy

I suspect missing/worn paint highlights (rather than any sort of embedded or carved stone).

Christmasjoy and jordanup2 like this.
  16. Jivvy

17. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

[QUOTE = "laura9797, post: 746708, miembro: 9323"] Se parece a alabastro, posiblemente italiano. [/ QUOTE]
    thanks for answering

18. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

[QUOTE = "Debora, post: 746822, miembro: 1476"] Jordania, tu escultura de mármol se llama "busto" porque representa solo la cabeza y los hombros de la figura humana. Es probable que su pieza sea de finales del siglo XIX, Renacimiento Renacimiento. Este tipo de busto fue hecho en mármol, alabastro y calderería (yeso). Por lo general, vinieron de Italia. El tuyo parece tener algún daño que afectará el valor.

Debora [/ QUOTE]
    gracias por responder

19. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

From Kovel's: "Alabaster is a very soft form of gypsum, a stone that resembles marble. It was often carved into vases or statues in Victorian times. There are alabaster carvings being made even today. Be careful that the alabaster does not absorb dirty water because it may develop a stain that cannot be removed."

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and jordanup2 like this.
  20. jordanup2

jordanup2 New Member

[QUOTE = "Aquitaine, post: 747153, member: 602"] Hola y BIENVENIDO a ANTIQUERS, Jordanup2 !!! Tu busto se ve adorable !!!! Aparte del chip que sale de su gorra a la izquierda mirándola (que parece que se ha alisado), ¡¡¡también parece que debería tener más joyas en su banda para la cabeza !! Aún así, muy bien !!

[ATTACH = full] 189423 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]
    Hi, thanks for the welcome.
    He has no jewelry on his head or his cap. If you have details of some hits, some spots by the passage of time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted